Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weird Bugs  (Read 1382 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird Bugs
« on: November 29, 2010, 01:02:13 am »

I am starting to get really weird bugs after a fort survives for 20 years.

First, my food stockpiles failed.  I checked all options nothing was disabled, I saved, restarted, loaded and all was fine.

Second, I had a dog Freeze to death in the kitchen. The Biome is hot, and it happened 2z's underground.

Third, Ambushes now appear to run to the edge of the map after discovery, just as thieves do.

I posted the first on the bug-tracker but was told to reopen if I could recreate.  I doubt I can reliably recreate any of these.

Anyone else experiencing anything else that falls under weird that isn't world gen?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Bugs
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:53:42 am »

1. What do you mean by "failed"?

2. Do you use any mods, raw edits, etc., or just vanilla DF?

3. Ambushes usually run away after a few die. How were they discovered?

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:34:06 am »

Random wierd bug I found is that *sometimes* trying to build any kind of animal trap causes the dwarf to ignore the workshop and give "no job" status.

Its now happening again in a new fort. and at both the forge and carpenters workshop
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:07:29 am »

You need a dwarf with Trapping as labor active to make animal traps, Carpenters or Blacksmiths won't do.

To the rest of the things mentioned here, sounds odd. Especially the freezing dog thing.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:07:19 pm »

1. What do you mean by "failed"?
They acted as though food gathering was disabled, moving empty barrels to the first left square, but not moving food to the stockpiles.
2. Do you use any mods, raw edits, etc., or just vanilla DF?
Genesis mod. I don't think it caused the dog to freeze to death.  Edit: checked the raws, nothing strange as far as temperatures are concerned.
3. Ambushes usually run away after a few die. How were they discovered?
Urist Mcfisherman walked into them, no deaths or combat report. It's happened a few times.

Sieges are still buggy due to flying mounts and no visible path.  Only ground only sieges work, and that is rare because most leaders arrive on a giant bat.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:09:33 pm by nordak »

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:22:08 pm »

They acted as though food gathering was disabled, moving empty barrels to the first left square, but not moving food to the stockpiles.
I have no idea. I don't have enough information to come to a conclusion on this.

Genesis mod. I don't think it caused the dog to freeze to death.  Edit: checked the raws, nothing strange as far as temperatures are concerned.
I was thinking it might be similar to this bug, perhaps if the raw files were altered on an existing game (as opposed to generating a new world): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=37644.0

Urist Mcfisherman walked into them, no deaths or combat report. It's happened a few times.
I don't know what would cause it, but it sounds recreatable for the bug tracker.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:27:12 pm »

I was thinking it might be similar to this bug, perhaps if the raw files were altered on an existing game (as opposed to generating a new world): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=37644.0

The dog was over a Rat leather tunic, wasn't boiling or on fire, nor were there any mist smoke or other gases.
I fear continuing to random freezing, I mean what are the chances that others will freeze?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:26:43 pm »

Could the freezing be due to contamination by FB or titan syndrome?

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »

not yet, nothing bearing a syndrome has shown up, just a regular Ettin and Hydra.  No FB's have even shown up in my caverns.

I'm going to post in the Genesis mod thread in-case it is from the mod.

Will also look for a missing matgloss thread in raws...

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 12:26:30 am »

I'm getting the same problem you're having with your food stocks, though for me its my wood stockpile. Two of my woodcutters have axes, the others refuse to pick them up and everyone leaves the logs sitting there.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 07:50:35 am »

Although rare, I have had unclothed dwarves and animals freeze to death when knee-deep in nether-caps.  They produce cold, and seem to have an accumulative effect.

I am planning to try to build a freezewater trap with this, somehow.