Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will fortifications allow fluid to pass through z-levels?  (Read 836 times)

x0reset

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will fortifications allow fluid to pass through z-levels?
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:02:30 pm »

Seems like someone must have tried this before, but I cant find anything on the forum about it.

If I carve a fortification into a natural wall, then flow water or magma over the top of the fortification on the level above, will it flow down through the fortification to the z-level below?

I would like to have a natural surface (no buildings, i.e. grates) that units can walk on but will allow fluid to flow through. 

Anyone tried this before?

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will fortifications allow fluid to pass through z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:06:48 pm »

Units can't walk on fortifications.
And as far as I know, fortifications don't allow fluids to flow into the level under it.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 05:09:09 pm »

Yeah fluids should go through the fortification. I've had a situation where skeletal giant eagles abused a fortification design flaw and entered the fortress that way - also items can drop into them so fluids SHOULD work. (havent tested)
__  ___
__F __F

see the gap on the left one? giant eagles entered through there. now .. the problem is I don't actually think you can walk on them. i haven't tried that part of the equation ..
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 05:21:45 pm »

basicaly yes and no and not in any way that would be useful to you.

Constructed fortifications have no floor tile above them, water can fall down on to them(among other things), but they have an open space above them that dwarfs cannot path over.  This fails because your dorfs will not be able to path AND because it will not be naturally carved as you desire.

Carved fortifications leave the floor tile above them intact, but it's an intact floor, water will not fall through.

now... dorfs will path over stairs as floor (but may or may not be able to fall through them) you can carve down stairs where you want your dorfs to be able to path and just mine out the rock below them (or carve them as fortifications, but any dwarf that falls through the stairs will end up stuck on the fortification and unable to move.)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »

If I carve a fortification into a natural wall, ...

EDIT: Ninja'd

The only 'natural' tile that works as you wish (walkable but fluid flows down through it) is the brook surface tile.  Down stairs would also work but they provide access to fliers as well.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 05:37:36 pm »

You may be seeking floor grates if you want a walkable surface that lets fluids pass through.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.