Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In need of an object melting machine.  (Read 459 times)

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
In need of an object melting machine.
« on: November 20, 2010, 04:05:15 am »

This actually ties into Adventure Mode quite a bit. Actually, Adventure Mode is why I want it. I recently remembered the fact that the game lets objects be melted after exposed to considerable heat. So, I thought, what if I could melt all the barrels of sacks of coins I get stuck with and put the resulting glob in a single place I'd actually remember? (Because I never remember where I left my loot.)

Problem is, I can't think of any design that my adventurer could operate that wouldn't have a remote chance of killing him when he tries to retrieve his valuable globs. Any ideas? I don't care how many dwarves I kill building it, but I just don't want the adventurer dieing.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In need of an object melting machine.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 04:13:12 am »

Make magma flooding mechanism operated by lever. Adventurer leaves coins in room, goes outside and pulls lever, waits as they're covered by magma and melt, pulls lever again, fetches globs of molten metal and tosses them at people.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: In need of an object melting machine.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:53 am »

A lever operated mechanism!

Ingredients:
  • A lever.
  • A magma pool.
  • A magma-safe pump stack, blocked by a door on top.
  • Link door to lever.
  • A drop shaft, where one level is accessible through a magma-safe door and has magma-safe floor grates/bars.
  • Drop shaft and the pump stack are of course connected to the magma pool. The pump stack should empty into the shaft.
Usage:
Put in things to be melted, pull lever, wait, pull lever, retrieve globs. The magma falling through the shaft will do the job :D ... just don't build it inside the shaft :P