Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifers  (Read 818 times)

Iburnaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifers
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:58:26 am »

I have a confession to make, even though I've been playing DF sfor a while I have never dealt with an aquifer. I'm thinking about using the pump method and just taking a lot(and I mean a LOT) of stone with me for mechanisms. Should I just wing it? Or should I plan first.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:13:47 pm »

You don't need mechanisms for the pump method.

You might want to pack it nonetheless for walling.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 12:15:10 pm »

Aquifers can't be drained. Read the wiki.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:18:53 pm »

Aquifers can't be drained. Read the wiki.
Now what was that about?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:26:51 pm »

What use are pumps unless you want to flood stuff?

Sure, flooding is fun, but once your dining room's made, you don't need to pump aquifers.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:28:12 pm »

Huh? The point of the pumps is to get rid of the water faster than the aquifer creates it, so the aquifer can be walled off and a safe path down made.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!