Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Politics Thread. No personal insults. Uber Sensitive Need Not Apply.  (Read 7677 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Politics Thread. No personal insults. Uber Sensitive Need Not Apply.
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2010, 06:24:58 pm »

In my opinion my opinion is my in.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »

In my opinion my opinion is my in.

Toony palindromes are palindromes Toony.

Aqizzar: I am thinking about trying to restart the original Eternal Halls after my turn in HallTraded, are you interested?

I'm gonna say no.  And good fuckin' luck with that.  Part of the magic of the Eternal Halls was that it lasted so long and took so long to continue that even the people who played it had no idea what most of the structures were supposed to be.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2010, 07:46:47 pm »

Up until recently in the US, unions could give money to politicians but corporations could not. A recent cause of outcry was the opening of canidates to the political contributions of corporations. Frankly I would much rather see the open involvement of both interests in a transparent way than both be barred and forced under the table.

Hmm and which do you think have more money and interest on the table? Especially considering how many unions were de facto busted during eighties, so their power is mostly present in right-wing fantasies. Besides, the ruling overturned by the Supreme Court prohibited both unions and corporations from using money directly to fund candidates. I'd rather see all organizations banned from contributing and only let individuals contribute - and require it all to be public. Most of the dirty money is laundered through "non-profit organizations" that do attack ads anyway.

Re: social security costs, health care in USA is extremely expensive per capita. Perhaps it would be smarter to do something about the root causes. Is it just coincidence the system is so very expensive in the country with corporate healthcare system (hospitals, clinics & insurance) when compared to countries with national services (usually with parallel private service available)? Hmmm, I wonder... it must be just a coincidence.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2010, 08:24:48 pm »

Up until recently in the US, unions could give money to politicians but corporations could not. A recent cause of outcry was the opening of canidates to the political contributions of corporations. Frankly I would much rather see the open involvement of both interests in a transparent way than both be barred and forced under the table.

Hmm and which do you think have more money and interest on the table? Especially considering how many unions were de facto busted during eighties, so their power is mostly present in right-wing fantasies. Besides, the ruling overturned by the Supreme Court prohibited both unions and corporations from using money directly to fund candidates. I'd rather see all organizations banned from contributing and only let individuals contribute - and require it all to be public. Most of the dirty money is laundered through "non-profit organizations" that do attack ads anyway.
"Good news everyone! In celebration of uh... democracy or something, we're giving everyone a $300 election season bonus! We urge you all to do your part and support Johny McTaxcutsforourceo's campaign! Remember, we will be reviewing the list of campaign donors!"
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2010, 08:48:21 pm »

i second majestic7's idea. That was basically what I tried to say in the first place.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2010, 08:51:14 pm »

"Good news everyone! In celebration of uh... democracy or something, we're giving everyone a $300 election season bonus! We urge you all to do your part and support Johny McTaxcutsforourceo's campaign! Remember, we will be reviewing the list of campaign donors!"

Yeah... That hasn't happened in a good hundred years.  Well, certainly not since the 1950s.  About an equally far cry from the days of the government sending the national guard to beat miner union leaders to death in the streets.  It's certainly not ancient history, but neither one is really relevant in the modern day.

F.E.C. vs Citizens United is definitely relevant, and the outcome is a pretty far cry from whatever these characterizations are supposed to be.  Unions were never the only game in town in unlimited advertising, not least because unions were never allowed to give unlimited advertising.  And that really has nothing to do with the Citizens United thing anyway, which was all about external political advertising.  It's a fucking quagmire all around, and I don't have a good answer.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 13, 2010, 11:54:25 pm »

It's a fucking quagmire all around, and I don't have a good answer.

You, sir, have just summed up all politics up to this time. Bravo.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2010, 01:25:41 am »

Dammit! Continue the discussion!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2010, 08:02:25 am »

That hasn't happened in a good hundred years.  Well, certainly not since the 1950s.  About an equally far cry from the days of the government sending the national guard to beat miner union leaders to death in the streets.  It's certainly not ancient history, but neither one is really relevant in the modern day.

Now, both are relevant, just not in the US right now. That don't mean that it may not become relevant.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]