Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seasonal displays of goblin treachery  (Read 1496 times)

canon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seasonal displays of goblin treachery
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:17:15 pm »

Whew, depo set up, the booze is flowing... AMBUSH!
Where's the gobbos?

Turns out they attacked their snatched humans
(verified thru looking at units screen and seeing them listed as invaders)
then attacked each other.

This has been going on for about 2 years.
What's going on?
I swear, no mods to my raws except 0speed dwarfs and dwarf/elven cities,
which i changed back.

On the bright side, I don't have to worry about them harassing caravans.
But they leave so much blood and stuff on the edges, which i wanted to fill with trees...

Anybody know why?

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seasonal displays of goblin treachery
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:26:12 pm »

I get this, too.

After a while, it seems like they run out of humans and ambush properly. xD
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:11:37 pm »

loyalty cascade

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 10:55:41 pm »

loyalty cascade

Antidisestablishmentarianism
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 11:17:16 pm »

Loyalty cascade: A goblin for some reason attacks a human captive. The attack on a member of their civ marks the goblin as an enemy of his own civ. The other goblins attack the new enemy/member of their civ, and are marked as enemies for attacking a member.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Eradacater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 11:33:10 pm »

The humans are probably thinking. "Hey if we kill these goblins maybe them dwarfs let us have some booze!" Second human "yeah and maybe they won't give us an overly warm welcome."
Lava trap = Fun
Drowning trap = fun
Fight pit = fun
Orbital magma cannon = more fun than most can handle

canon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:49:02 pm »

unfortunately, magma is pretty far down, so i can't give them any warm hugs.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 03:43:46 am »

Yep, same here
I got one goblin squad leaded by human lasher, another by bowdwarf, and two goblin spearmen - don't know for sure are they third squad or what.
Bowdwarf was killed by his his goblins-macemen, lasher is being shoot by his goblins-bowmen, and spearmen are attacking each other.
Maybe they got so impressed by my trap designs and want to get away as soon as possible?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 04:27:21 am »

Maybe Nurgle's rot has eaten their brains, throwing them into Blood Rage... oops, sorry, wrong game!
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 05:11:07 am »

Loyalty cascade: A goblin for some reason attacks a human captive. The attack on a member of their civ marks the goblin as an enemy of his own civ. The other goblins attack the new enemy/member of their civ, and are marked as enemies for attacking a member.
This actually used to happen to dorfs at one point.  A guard other than the hammerer would beat someone, he would get marked as enemy, his attackers would get marked...  et cetera.  It lead to full-scale riots, which was always Fun.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 12:28:52 pm »

Maybe Nurgle's rot has eaten their brains, throwing them into Blood Rage... oops, sorry, wrong game!

No. No it isn't. Just look at the assorted threads dedicated to gods of DF.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 12:31:47 pm »

I noticed this today, I had two ambushes, at first I thought the local fauna had uncovered them as the first were next to gazelle, but it could the Human/Goblin fighting cause them to be uncovered too?
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »

I've had this problem bad with my current map. The first huge siege the turned on their own warlord and killed him, he didn't come with any clothes on either, kinda odd. Now during ambushes they show up with humans, elves, and dwarves, who they kill quickly... It sucks when it's a dwarf because my dudes want to run out and bury him.