Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You can find hidden locations on the travel map? Also, minotaurs suck.  (Read 1201 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was walking to the nearest shrine to off a forest titan or whatever, when all of a sudden I get the message "You have discovered a labyrinth!" And POW, a # sign appears on my travel map right next to me.

Huh. Didn't know you could find hidden locations just by walking next to them. I bet this works for camps and lairs too.

Anyway. Turns out a "labyrinth" is an underground lair (it took several flights of stairs to get there) that has a large (an entire embark square, I think) maze leading to the dining room. Strewn throughout were refuse from various kills, including some exceptional silver arrows which fetched a nice price! But the main attraction was the minotaur.

Remember those guys? Did they always have weapons?

This one had a bismuth bronze spear, which was the reason I had to savescum like 5 times to kill him without losing at least a body part. Several of my tries began with him jamming his spear into my shield hand right through the *bronze gauntlets* severing pretty much all of the nerves. Eventually I killed him by the tactic of aiming my halberd at his head with my superhuman strength from being legendary+20 in both axe and fighter. That's pretty much how I kill everything these days. Dragon one-shotting and all. Maybe with kobolds or bogeymen I'll aim at the lower body for an easy bisection.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You can find hidden locations on the travel map? Also, minotaurs suck.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:48:28 pm »

I got pwned by a minotaur who punched me to death, his punches were crazy strong and i was tough too, i guess minotaurs require an army to be defeated or i didn't train enough, i used to kill minotaurs easily on older version hehe

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 07:59:10 pm »

Obviously the Labyrinth would be an underground maze lair, haven't you read the legend?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:27:26 pm »

This one had a bismuth bronze spear, which was the reason I had to savescum like 5 times to kill him without losing at least a body part

More likely than the spear simply being there, chances are you had difficulty because all minotaurs are at minimum at Adept skill level in melee combat and with all melee weapon types.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:10 pm »

Minotaur skill

[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:6]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:6]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:6]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:6]
[NATURAL_SKILL:AXE:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SWORD:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DAGGER:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:PIKE:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MACE:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:HAMMER:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WHIP:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SPEAR:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:12]

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Minotaur
Looking directly at the raws without opening the raws folder is a wonderful experience of horrifying discovery.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:53:30 pm »

Yeah I popped one of these hidden things today, got a lair, though it was empty :(

Nothing to batter, nothing to nick
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.