Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding a new type of fishery (0.31.12)  (Read 947 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding a new type of fishery (0.31.12)
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:28:50 pm »

First off, if someone could point me to a "how to make customs workshops" tutorial, that would be great.

Anyway, I need a hand with this because all I know about programming and modding could just about fill a thimble.

I want to add a custom workshop that lets a dwarf create a stack of raw fish out of thin air (via the Fishing skill), so I don't have to worry about overfishing. Preferably this workshop would also require at least one tile be over a water source, a la magma forges/smelters and magma, except with water, but if that's not possible that's cool too. I can always just restrict myself to building them next to water.

I want to do this because I'd like to have a fort dedicated to fishing without having to have my fisherdwarves idle 90% of the year to avoid completely devastating the fish populations and making themselves obsolete after a couple years.

Also, I'd like to see two versions- one that creates a number of fish based on the fisherdwarf's skill, and one that only produces a single fish per queued job.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a new type of fishery (0.31.12)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:38:08 pm »

Heres something: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Shaostoul%27s_Guide

As for the water thing, its not possible. Though you can allways fake water using the shops tiles, and call it fishfarm or something. Wont be perfect as the tiles below will be dry, but it could at least help the suspension of disbelief.

You also cant relate the number of fish gained to the dwarves skill, right now only item quality is influenced by that. They will still do the job faster though.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:39:18 am »

Heres something: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Shaostoul%27s_Guide

As for the water thing, its not possible. Though you can allways fake water using the shops tiles, and call it fishfarm or something. Wont be perfect as the tiles below will be dry, but it could at least help the suspension of disbelief.

You also cant relate the number of fish gained to the dwarves skill, right now only item quality is influenced by that. They will still do the job faster though.

Ah. Well, thanks for the info. I checked the wiki, but a search for "custom workshop" didn't turn up that page.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:01:27 am »

So my dwarfs will finally know the splendor of *Cave Lobster*?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:59:53 pm »

Lets see what we have here hmm...

I think this should help
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54004.0

and if there's any problems with reactions these should help

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Shaostoul%27s_Guide

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Reactions

Oh and to be slightly more helpful
[PRODUCT:100:1:EARRING:NONE:INORGANIC:CLAYSTONE]

the number in orange is the percent chance that the reaction will give the product and the number in purple is how much of the product is given so it's possible to make a reaction that has a small chance of giving a lot of fish as well of having a larger chance to give a small amount of fish.

Of course using that it also helps with a reaction that would give a random type of fish each time it's used.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 04:20:40 pm »

Lets see what we have here hmm...

I think this should help
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54004.0

and if there's any problems with reactions these should help

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Shaostoul%27s_Guide

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Reactions

the number in orange is the percent chance that the reaction will give the product and the number in purple is how much of the product is given so it's possible to make a reaction that has a small chance of giving a lot of fish as well of having a larger chance to give a small amount of fish.

Of course using that it also helps with a reaction that would give a random type of fish each time it's used.
I think you could also set it so that it has a 50% chance of making a fish, a 25% chance of making a fish, a 12% chance of making a fish, a 6% chance of making a fish, a 3% chance of making a fish, a 2% chance of making a fish, and a 1% chance of making a fish (or something like that), for a total chance of 71% of catching one fish.
[/geekiness]
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:13:03 pm »

Just one question, how do you get 71%? I get 99% chance of at least 1 fish since it rolls separately for each one so 50+25+12+6+3+2+1=99% chance.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 11:58:13 pm »

Just one question, how do you get 71%? I get 99% chance of at least 1 fish since it rolls separately for each one so 50+25+12+6+3+2+1=99% chance.
It does roll seperately, so you don't just do straight-up addition of the percentages. You could, theoretically, get 7 fish from such a reaction (indeed, you'd have a 0.00000054% chance of getting 7). For multiple rolls like that, you have to check the chance of not getting the desired result each time.

Remeber that if you're rolling multiple dice, you check each seperately. The chances of getting at least one 6 on 5 six-sided dice is not 5/6, after all; it's 1/1 minus 5/6 (the chance of not getting a 6 on one die) multiplied by itself 5 times (for 5 dice), or just under 60%.

So, you have a 50% chance of not getting a fish from the first roll, a 75% chance of not getting a fish from the second roll, an 88% chance of no fish on the third, 94% of no fish on the fourth, 97% of none on the fifth, 98% of none on the sixth, and 99% of none on the seventh. Total probability of at least 1? 1-(.5*.75*.88*.94*.97*.98*.99)=.7080726412, or ~70.8%.

Tabletop gaming theory does wonders for your probability theory knowledge :P
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:34:27 am »

Tabletop gaming theory does wonders for your probability theory knowledge :P

So that's why Adv. Statistics class was so easy...all those years of calculating the damage from a 16-missile payload launched from a jury-rigged AA-pod converted to a shoulder mounted gun for a super-mutant using sight-adjust instead of auto-targeting while riding on the back of a cargo truck driving at 300mph targeting a modified veritech that was hopping through riftgates in and out of reality.

...we played Palladium...it got...weird...sometimes.

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »

hhhmmmmmm ive been searching for that info on and off for the last 3 days.. I dont think its contained in the wiki.. THANKS!!!!