Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Losing Reputation?  (Read 1065 times)

killran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Losing Reputation?
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:41:20 pm »

My current adventurer has been doing quite well so far, slaying night monsters and the like. Built up enough reputation to get a quest from the lord of a castle who sent me to kill a troll which my party beat on before I stole the final blow and took all the credit :)

Anyway whilst moving to another castle my party was ambushed by around 12 or so human bandits. At the end only me and one party member survived (thus saving me from the bogeymen). However when I arrived at the new castle while recruting new people I found my party size could only be 3 including me and the lady wouldn't give me any quests. Thinking this may have been a regional thing I went back to the original castle to find that no-one would join me and the lord suddenly decided I had no chance against his monsters unlike before.

So I'm wondering if at any point if you can lose your reputation among people and why (due only just surviving the bandits?) or if this is a bug?

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Losing Reputation?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »

The only time I've lost reputation was retiring, but then it came back after completing one mission.

killran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 04:06:55 pm »

Hmm did another night creature quest but could only recruit one more guy and the lord still won't give me quests anymore. Guess I'll have to build it back up. Cheers anyway!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:11:16 pm »

You may have killed one of your party members in the bandit battle accidentally, that would do it, at least.

killran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 04:31:23 pm »

But if that was the case surely everyone in the castle would be more interested in attacking me (as my companions came from the same castle) rather than just dismissing my abilities. Doesn't matter too much as its not hard to build it up again, just irritating as I want to get the max amount of followers then go on an expedition to the large haunted areas in the northwest of my world :).

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:08 am »

But if that was the case surely everyone in the castle would be more interested in attacking me (as my companions came from the same castle) rather than just dismissing my abilities. Doesn't matter too much as its not hard to build it up again, just irritating as I want to get the max amount of followers then go on an expedition to the large haunted areas in the northwest of my world :).
or the rep system prevents such cases which makes killing random town members on accident more okay.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:01:41 pm »

I've had something of the opposite issues happen before.  After killing a titan, I was ambushed, only to find that my attacker was friendly and overjoyed to hear of my adventures.  Looking in the legends later on, I saw that I was both a hero and an enemy to a faction, which I'm assuming was that raiding party.  I guess he changed his mind when he saw the 1000 lb titan head in my hands.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 05:37:58 pm »

You can have a different reputation with each entity. Presumably your reputation with the second entity wasn't as good as with the previous entity.

But if you do quests that are high-profile enough, such as slaying a dragon or other megabeast, then you can be known as a legendary hero across your world.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 06:11:06 pm »

I'm thinking you do lose some rep for having party members die. I've lost as many as 12 in one sitting, and people seemed less enthusiastic when I talked them to. And I have a habit of returning to the same fortresses to recruit, so I know it's the same faction group.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti