Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An ideal adventuring world  (Read 753 times)

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An ideal adventuring world
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:05:18 am »

What would it look like, and how could we make it? I'm thinking many beasts to slay, many civilizations that can battle each other, many night creatures. Varying beasts of all challenges. What is the ideal cooking time and the ideal parameters. I'm asking this after creating two worlds which seem almost devoid of quests, despite me giving it 1000 years prep time and 750 caves.
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: An ideal adventuring world
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:26:05 am »

Try less time, closer to 150 years or so.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:28:13 am »

Yeah I've found having less than 200 years makes every being handing out quests.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:25:17 pm »

What about for wars? I like getting ambushed by bands of skinny and annoying elves.
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:40:54 pm »

Wars come and go all the time. The trick is to generate once, read the legends mode, note down when all the wars were then generate again with the exact same parameters and random seed and you will get an identical world. Except this time, end worldgen in the middle of whichever war you want.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.