Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let us Play... Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura!  (Read 1312 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let us Play... Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura!
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:59:31 am »

One major (and regrettable) caveat - this computer isn't capable of playing the game (broken graphics card) and the one that is has no net connection.  So if we do want to Let's Play this, it will have to be done almost entirely in text!

I have three four possible characters prepped (based on possible interest), but if another suggestion gets enough interest we may well do that instead.

1. Walter Blythe, Esq: The former apprentice of a travelling snake oil salesman, Blythe fled the army in search of an equally exciting career that was less likely to get him killed - at least on the field of battle.  With no combat training whatsoever, but a silvered tongue and a gift for the grift, Blythe will have to rely heavily on followers to survive in the wilderness.  He swindled his ticket aboard the IFS Zephyr, along with 400 Caladonian marks, from a wealthy but regrettably easy to fool member of the local aristocracy.

2. Dirk Handson: An half-ogre, Dirk was for the longest time in the employ of a member of the Tarantian gnomish upper middle class.  In a rare case, he was educated for the purpose of instructing that gnome's children, but when the whole family was massacred in response to an orcish labour riot he found himself out on the streets - masterless and penniless.  Not being much call for an intelligent ogre, Handson was pressed into various menial jobs until at last he found himself in Caladon.  He narrowly avoided intensive labour in the massive Caladonian fields through a chance conversation with one of the directors of the IFS Zephyr's planning committee.  With his soft spoken voice but significant size, he was granted a place on the serving staff of the Zephyr.

3. Greta Brick.  Nicknamed 'Wall' by those who knew her, Greta's half-orc heritage shows.  Ugly, foul-mouthed and worse-tempered, Greta has been in fights her entire life and only grown the stronger for it.  A wage-slave in a Tarantian factory, she killed her supervisor and fled to Caladon to escape justice.  Unfortunately for Greta, she was recovered easily by one of Caladon's most famous detectives, who volunteered to take her in chains back to Tarant aboard the IFS Zephyr on his way to a conference on the latest forensic techniques.  Fortunately for Greta, he never made it there alive.

4. Jordan Tarrelonde-Ashe.  No, no, of the Westing Tarrelonde-Ashes.  She gets that a lot.  Of course the family tree does branch heavily, even in Westing (to say nothing of those louts in Falsburg), but she had advantage that her immediate parents had no other children.  Beyond those horrible cousins to deal with, Jordan quite enjoyably had her own way for years until her father finally got fed up and sent her to study with the mage consortiums in Caladon.  Caladon!  Not even the grace to send her to Tulla, noooo.  After six months studying the basics of the Necromantic colleges she got fed up and welcomed the three-month winter break.  Not yet schooled enough in magick for it to cause difficulty with the technology in the dirigible, she bought a ticket on the IFS Zephyr, fully expecting a much-needed holiday in Tarant.  For once in Jordan's life, things did not go according to plan.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:01:38 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let us Play... Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:50:44 pm »

A bit more about Arcanum...

The realm of Arcanum primarily constitutes a single landmass, with larger outlying islands such as Thanatos, Cattan and the Isle of Despair.  Formerly home to multiple minor kingdoms, as of 1884 it has stabilised into the human kingdoms of Tarant and Ashbury (which together make the Unified Kingdom), Caladon (a constitutional monarchy) and Cumbria (a failing autocratic monarchy).  The dwarven clans now mostly keep to their mountains, and the elves that do not venture amongst the human world reside in the Glimmering Forest beyond the Stonewall Mountains.

It is a world in which magick [sic] and technology both exist, but exist at odds to one another.  Two thousand years previous, magic ruled the world, but the sudden rise of technology in the last century has tipped the balance in its favour.  The two forces are necessarily opposed - as magick twists reality, technology is dependant upon natural law to function.

It is into this world that our protagonist is thrown, caught up in a disaster that ensnares him/her in a much larger, darker plot.  Of course, to start we'll just have to pick a protagonist to go with...
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:01:40 pm »

I vote for the pompous mage.
Because Harm is completely broken. (No cooldown, relatively low cost, and decent damage, due to a bit of a design flaw. Did I mention that it is the LEVEL 1 Black Necromancy spell?)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:12:15 pm by ragnarok97071 »
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:08:12 pm »

I vote for the half orc. I like the fighters in these sorts of games.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:34 am »

Sadly, it really is that broken - I actually grew to dislike playing pure mages for this very reason.  Arcanum is fairly easy to break as a mage, heh.  Technologists are just so much more fun.  =D

Anyhow, I'll give it a little longer and if there's no other picks I'll choose.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:50:48 am »

Haaaalf Ooooorc!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 08:52:58 am »

I'd pick Mr Blythe.

Lol, a lot of the mechanics is broken in Arcanum. I know it back in the pre-game design era, but it's rather biased. But technologists are pretty much where Arcanum shines over other games, there's like a million RPGs with magic in them.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 02:35:19 pm »

Greta, because WAAAAAAAAGH!
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 08:27:55 pm »

Prologue: Sky Iron

The manacles chafed, as they always did.  I briefly cursed my thick orcish wrists, too bulky for the irons to be comfortable and not yet strong enough to just break them apart.  The Inspector couldn't help but snicker lightly at my efforts, puffing on his pipe in that gods-damned infuriating manner.  It wasn't as if they had actually needed the smug bastard to catch me, I just wandered into him on the street and he arrested me on the grounds of 'vagrancy' - by which he meant that I was an orc and in his way.

I feel I should point out at this juncture that I am not, in fact, a full-blooded orc.  I am an half-orc, but the gods saw fit to give me the body of my mother's race instead of the more human proportions you might see in the streets of Tarant.  So the fact that the Inspector had dragged me along aboard the IFS Zephyr on his way to Tarant (for him, the site of a conference; for me, the site of my imprisonment) made me an object of perverse novel to all the high society nobs that were busy sipping cocktails and gambling throughout its lush interiors.  I might well have been the first 'orc' they'd seen up close in their entire lives.

The Inspector got tired of the endless drinking, smoking, eating and gambling (if the facilities had been available, I am certain 'whoring' would have been in there as well) and decided he needed some fresh air to pollute with his pipe.  He dragged me up to the deck like an errant dog and started filling his pipe.  Across at the other end of the deck a man stood taking photographs of the mountains.  I batted my cheek to get rid of the insects buzzing there.  Two facts struck me at that point.  First, the dirigible was flying far too fast for any bugs to keep up; I could feel the wind rushing past as it was.  Second, the buzzing was getting louder.

The Inspector was the first to spot them; a pair of great iron birds, cradling what looked like an ogre in each one's chest.  I had enough experience in the factory to know technology when I saw it, and quickly realised that the buzzing (now quickly becoming a roaring) was from some kind of new engine in the craft.  I hit the deck immediately, but the Inspector was too slow.  Bullets ripped into his chest and streamed across the deck with him.  I turned my head, thanking the gods I had escaped the first run of the flying machines and spotted the photographer.  The man was still taking pictures, of the flying machines no less!  He received his just rewards moments later when the second machine made its fly-by and mowed him down.

I crawled along the deck on my elbows and knees until I reached the Inspector and began hurriedly fishing the key to my manacles from his pocket.  I tried to slot it into the lock when the whole airship lurched to one side.  An enormous boom announced the crash of one of the machines straight into the engines, and I clutched my arms to my face as fire blazed all around me, the weight and shape of the key a constant reminder in my palm.  The deck tilted and I struggled to keep from falling off.  Just before everything really went to hell, I glanced up to the despairing sight of the flaming envelope.  We were all going to die.

The manacles saved me.  The ship broke apart not far above the ground.  I regained enough sense and strength to try and grab onto one of the steel cords keeping the ship tethered to its failing envelope in the hope that it might lessen my fall.  It didn't, really, but when I hit the ground the impact failed to actually kill me.  I hit the earth with my chest first, and it was a miracle my ribs didn't break.  As soon as I rolled over, a steel brace from the envelope fell towards me and I instinctively raised my arms.  The brace caught dead between the reinforced manacles and hit the chain - without it, I have no doubt that it would have sliced apart or flat out crushed my face.

My manacles discarded, I clambered through the wreckage until the sound of faint cries caught my attention.  In the hope of another survivor, I reached an old gnome trapped beneath some rubble.  I grabbed the chunk of hull, still hot from the fires, and pushed it aside.  My hopes dashed - a brace of steel had crushed his legs just as one had threatened to crush my head; he would not live much longer.  The gnome seemed thankful enough, though.

"Oh thank you, my friend.  I haven't got much time."  The gnome started coughing, a rough and awkward sound.  He stretched out his fist and opened it, revealing a silver monogrammed ring.  "You must find the boy.  Find the boy... and give him back his ring.  He will know what needs to be done."  Unable to resist the dying gnome's wishes, I took the ring from his fingers.  He burst into another fit of coughing.  I could hear the change in his breathing, the labour of it as blood began to fill up his lungs.

"You must listen to me-" He grabbed my collar with a strength I was surprised he had.  "We had to do it.  He did unspeakable things to us.  We... we had no choice but to do what he said.  There are... so few of us left but the work is almost finished and then..."  A strange horror filled his eyes, a fear that unnerved me greatly.  "The evil... you can't imagine.  He's- he's coming back to destroy everything.  Everything... and everyone.  Please, just find the boy.  Tell him that I escaped.  I came back to warn..."

This wasn't the first time I had faced death, but the ramblings of the gnome gripped my heart like a vice.  For a moment I thought he had finally passed, then he spoke up one last time, his eyes rolling back to face the sky.

"He will know what to do.  You, my friend... it's all up to you."

I didn't believe in religion, even my curse to the gods was just a habit from my mother.  Even so, as I closed his still eyes I whispered a prayer and allowed myself to breathe.  The moment passed, and pragmatism returned.  I was free, and I needed to stay free to survive.  I rummaged through the dead gnome's pockets and found a passport and a set of matches, as well as a handful of cash in a wallet.  Behind me, I could not help but hear the distinctive sound of footsteps crunching through the rubble.  Another survivor?  I couldn't risk my newfound freedom.

I clenched my fists and turned to face my foe.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:43:15 pm by Iituem »