Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things Made From Ice  (Read 874 times)

Things Made From Ice
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:12:41 am »

I just have a few questions:-

1. Is it possible to make creatures from ice that melt once they enter a warm zone?
2. Is it possible for creatures to create a "cold zone" around them? ( I think I have this one worked out, I just need to put it in game. Any ideas would be helpful, though. )
3. Is it possible for creatures to use ice armour and weapons that melt once they're dropped / the creatures carrying them are killed?
4. Is it possible to add in a cold variant on the normal breath attacks?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:16:31 am by The Transcendent Tyrant »
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Things Made From Ice
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:13:22 am »

I can't answer all of your questions, but I will try my best.

1. Yes, that is very possible.
2. Can't help you with that, sorry. You can make the creature cold by setting the fixedtemp vars of its materials to a low value, but no idea about a real cold field.
3. That would depend on whether you can make a gold field. But I think it's not possible. Not sure on this one though.
4. Breath attacks are very iffy at the moment, especially in regards to temperature. Don't expect immediate result. Your best belt would be using one of the breathtypes which condenses on the victim's skin quickly and give it an extremely low fixed temp.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:55:27 pm »

Thank you very much.

Won't setting it to a very low fixed temp "drain" the heat from the surrounding tiles, though? Or am I being confused, here?

And I was mainly hoping to have these things freeze water / cool lava when they go near them. Any ideas about that?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:02 pm »

What you probably want is a low 'Homeotherm' temp for the cold zone.