Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So amazing, I wanna die!!!  (Read 1140 times)

Mallets

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So amazing, I wanna die!!!
« on: November 12, 2010, 04:57:16 pm »

Ok, I just discovered this game yesterday.  I'm flipping out (and I haven't even played it yet).  My lord, this game looks and sounds amazing!  I want to vomit and pass out, and pass out in my own vomit!!!

I'm so pumped, yet over-whelmed by this game that I want to instantly download all the available info for this game into my brain... then warp 3 months into the future where I've been non-stop playing this game!!!

Ok, I'll stop rambling and get on to asking my question!

If I dig a tunnel down, do I have to have stairs to get up and down?  Say I only dig one or two levels deep, do I need stairs?  Or can I just stagger my digging and essentially make my own stairs?

Can my own dwarfs set off traps that I build?  Basically asking if I should build me a trap room at the entrance of my base?

Got to go, work calls.  Thx for any info!

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So amazing, I wanna die!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »

"Extinction is not an option."

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:59:48 pm »

Stairs or ramps are required to move vertically.  Also, if you build a down stair, you must build an upstair below it to have it work.

Your own dwarves will not set off traps, unless they are unconscious when they are over them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of whimsy we like to call, Dwarf Fortress.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »

I discovered this game years ago, but just made an account today.  It just gets better.  I.E. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57356.0
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »

The metagame is the most awesome part of Dwarf Fortress.  We have to make a Boom-De-Ah-Dah song for this game.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 05:53:00 pm »

To the Creative Projects board!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:58:33 pm »

Any game where you can build a system to automatically butcher puppies/cows/elephants/mermaids is amazing in my book.  :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70378.0  <- I'm serious.  To the creative projects board.  For !!ART!!

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:48:47 pm »

!!&!!
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:09:58 pm »

About stairs: each z-level is about the height of a person. Or at least, let's work with that theory for now. So if you staggered your digging, each "step" would be the height of a person. Dwarves don't jump, so that won't work as stairs. You can build ramps staggard...ly though. Or you can dig stairs straight down.