Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.17: How do I get equipped?  (Read 860 times)

VPellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.17: How do I get equipped?
« on: November 11, 2010, 11:53:21 pm »

I'm somewhat new to adventure mode, with my only real past experience being wandering aimlessly through the forest only to be ambushed by about 15 wolves at once.

Now, as wonderful as my maple long sword is, it's not a very good weapon for murdering things. So my question is, how do I get my hands on better equipment? Peasants tell me of shopkeepers, but I'm not sure how to find them. Every building looks the same to me.

Basically, I'm going to need knives.

Lots and lots of knives.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.17: How do I get equipped?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:31 am »

HAHAHAHAHA
ELF
HAHAHAHAHAAHH
AHHA
HAH
AH
----

Signs outside buildings.
Can only find shops in "towns" not "hamlets"
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 12:37:19 am »

They're usually marked by yellow building in the map mode, or at least that's where I find them.  You can also loot some decent weapons from lairs sometimes.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:42:28 am »

Demigod dwarves and humans are powerful.  Demigod elves can't kill anything but wildlife... wait till you get ambushed...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:47:25 am »

pfft. Elves don't have to bother with wildlife. Also, they can stealth even if animals can see them.
As for killing things as an elf - try wrestling,and non-weapon directed attacks. Biting can work wonders if you hit a vulnerable spot like the throat.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:20:42 am »

Throwing is your friend.  Make sharp rocks (are these marginally better than normal rocks?) and throw them at your enemies.  Also, save any arrows or bolts you come across, silver are the best (those embed  in the enemy when thrown, not even at high levels.  I <3 Silver arrows :D)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

VPellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:56:26 am »

Thanks guys. After being killed repeatedly by various mercenaries, I figured out trading got on a roll and ended up as a wandering human dual-wielding scimitars. After killing various criminals, I was sent on a quest to slaughter a troll in the mountains. All but one of my followers got lost whilst traversing the mountains I believe one swordsman died when he tried to beat up a camel. I finally managed to slaughter the troll, then on my way back to the fortress from which I'd been assigned the quest, me and my lone bowman companion stumbled across a cyclops lair. That bastard got 59 kills in its lifetime and managed to break my companion's shoulder, but we managed to overcome it. We returned to the castle a week after we left and announced our victory. Given the amount of coins I found in various lairs, I like to think me and my companion retired and lived out lives of luxury.

Adventure mode kicks ass.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 07:37:20 am »

I feel I should point out that while elves can't use the armor sold in human shops, they CAN use the dwarven armor found in various lairs.
I should know, I'm wearing full steel. :p