Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Internet Connectivity Issue  (Read 513 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Internet Connectivity Issue
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:16:22 am »

Normally I get a reasonably good connection to the internet from my computer here in Prague.  This morning, the connection is as fast as ever - maybe even above average - but certain sites won't load.  Facebook for one, and World of the Living Dead for another.  The strange thing is that it hardly even tries to connect.  I immediately get the "server not found" screen, as though my internet connection had been dropped.  This is leading me to believe that there's a connection somewhere that's not being made.

My question is, is anyone else having problems with these sites today?  I haven't had a chance to try connecting from anywhere but my apartment, but I've never seen anything like this.  I could believe that one of the sites was simply down - but even then, the browser usually tries for a while before giving up and telling me the site isn't found.  Two large sites being down like this and the browser not even trying to connect is making me think something is broken somewhere along the way.

EDIT: And just like that, it's working again.  Figures, I fought with it for an hour and when I finally decided to post a topic on it, it started working again.  Maybe that's all I needed to do in the first place?  In any case, I'm still curious what the problem was and if anyone else has experienced it.

EDIT II: And just like that, it's happening again, but with different sites. Now it's doing it for tigsource and kingdom of loathing. Both on Chrome and Firefox. What the crap is going on here?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:44:30 am by Sappho »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Connectivity Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:51 pm »

Try using this.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Connectivity Issue
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:26:23 pm »

Try contacting the site via a public proxy (that's not in prague, to be sure). It could be that the 'net is trying to rout your request via a dead link and ends up losing the request packets.