Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nothing to catch in the ocean  (Read 1768 times)

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nothing to catch in the ocean
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:12:41 am »

Does skill affect chance to generate a nothing to catch message because I assigned a dabbling fisher to fish in the ocean and I got the message there is nothing left to catch in the ocean I'm playing 0.31.16 but I thought the no fish bug was fixed. I'm running stonesense in the background but no other mods.

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing to catch in the ocean
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:48:51 pm »

Hardly anybody ever gets fish in 31.xx.
That is all.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:21:07 am »

oh ok thank you for the answer I guess Ill have to o without fish then.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 03:45:48 am »

I don't think it's *quite* that bad: I can certainly reliably catch *some* fish on a new map, but certainly fishing is not currently a good way to feed a fortress as they run out improbably quickly.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 05:10:43 am »

I was playing today and I saw some sea nettle jellyfish in the ocean so I assigned a dwarf to fish but he just sat there idling.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:28:26 pm »

Sea nettle jellyfish are vermin, I think.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 04:48:19 pm »

Hm? it's to my understanding that only vermin fish can be caught.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 04:52:40 pm »

It's only vermin fish that are caught by your fisher dwarfs, but I'm under the impression that the vermin that show up on the map and the vermin population that is fished from are two different things. So you can have nothing to fish even though there's vermin fish running about the map.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 05:07:34 pm »

I have an oceanside fortress right now where my fisherdwarf is successfully catching plenty of fish.  What kind of fish he catches have nothing whatsoever to do with the vermin fish I see swimming around in the ocean, of course.  Fishing seems to draw from a separate population pool than spawns of vermin fish do.

I created a pump-fed pool elevated several Z-levels over the ocean so as to have a reliable source of fresh water.  When designating it as a water source I noticed I could also designate it as a fishing zone, so I did.  The fisherdwarf went to my artificial pool, tried to fish from it, and then generated a "There is nothing to catch in the ocean" message.  I switched off fishing on that zone and he resumed fishing from the actual ocean.

It seems that the "There is nothing to catch..." message is triggered whenever a dwarf fails to find any fish, and the "in the <place>" part is purely determined by the area he is fishing.  A dwarf trying and failing to catch fish out of an artificial pond near the ocean will still give you the message that there's no fish in the ocean, even if the ocean still has plenty of fish.  Make sure your fishing zone is over actual unmodified ocean tiles, and not a pool or channel near the ocean that you've made.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 05:23:39 pm »

Make sure also that there's a place for your fisherdwarfs to stand while they're fishing in your fishing zone. You need both land and water tiles.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 05:26:19 pm »

It's only vermin fish that are caught by your fisher dwarfs, but I'm under the impression that the vermin that show up on the map and the vermin population that is fished from are two different things. So you can have nothing to fish even though there's vermin fish running about the map.
Which is ridiculous, really. While thats unlikely to change, Im sure future versions will have more available fish in your lakes and seas.