Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves no longer utilizing the animals stockpile, how can I fix this?  (Read 405 times)

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, so here's the situation: Fort has been up and running for about three years, and in those three years I've acquired a staggeringly high amount of exotic cave creatures, using only two (2) cage traps no less! I've always had an 'animals stockpile' (the default animal stockpile, with nothing edited) for my dwarves to store captured animals and extra cages, however my dwarves are no longer utilizing the stockpile. At first I was worried that perhaps my dwarves did not have access to the stockpile with the way I've designated my burrows, but the stockpile floor is one which is extremely possible to access, with almost non-existent difficulty at that. The animals stockpile itself is also very much within access; it is not in a hidden part of that room at all, but right there near the stairs. There is simply no possible way that this could be a pathing issue; what then, I ask, could the issue possibly be? I come here seeking help, as I am beyond patience with manually dumping animal cages in places that they don't even belong to begin.

The issue is so bad that they will literally leave old cages on top of the traps after reloading. So I'll mouse over a cage trap and see like, five goblin cages on each one, forcing me to then spot-dump all of their gear in a way where it is hard for me to track which goblins I have stripped and which I have not. Were to build an arena I could actually lose dwarves if I am unable to determine which goblins have been stripped, let alone the state of my armory without it (the extra goblinite,) and so it is imperative that this issue receives full attention; it is of the utmost importance. I request everyone's assistance humbly.

[TL;DR] My dwarves are no longer utilizing the animals stockpile, which has the *default options intact*, putting me in a position where I need to manually dump every single cage in order to get them moved off of the old cage traps. It does not appear to be a pathing issue, and for the record yes I have already tried the solution of removing and then re-designating the stockpile, multiple times at that. How do I resolve this issue?

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves no longer utilizing the animals stockpile, how can I fix this?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:08:52 am »

I'm no expert, but you could try removing the stockpile and putting it down again. Or you could try and place a new one somewhere and see if they use that one.

If not....Er...I dunnoz...
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:43:22 am »

{o}rders -> Dwarves Gather {a}nimals

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:32:39 pm »

One thing you have yet to mention: is the stockpile full?  You are limited to one cage per tile, occupied or not.  I've often seen "extra caged goblins piling up on the traps" when I run out of room and have yet to notice.

Also: do your dwarves have the animal hauling labor activated?

--Rexfelum

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »

One thing you have yet to mention: is the stockpile full?  You are limited to one cage per tile, occupied or not.  I've often seen "extra caged goblins piling up on the traps" when I run out of room and have yet to notice.

Also: do your dwarves have the animal hauling labor activated?

--Rexfelum

Yes, they all have animal hauling enabled, no the stockpile is not full. It is about 20 tiles and only one tile is still occupied by a gorlak cage.

I'm going to try the order that Larry is suggesting...

It worked!

Apparently in my goblin-killing frenzy, I must have accidentally smacked one of the keys causing me to accidentally cancel the order to gather animals.

Thank you, everyone!