Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves vanishing from military screen  (Read 488 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves vanishing from military screen
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:59:01 am »

Something weird goin on here......

I had 3 squads, 2 sword squads and a couple of marksdwarves

I saved my fort and genned a new world to play about with some stuff, punching aquifers etc.  created some squads in that fort to defend from zombie wildlife.

Im now back in my original fort and something has gone a bit weird.  One of my sword squads was empty when I loaded the game, it has a name and a uniform assigned but no members, not even a militia captain.

Thinking this was a bit weird I refilled it with some random migrant peasants as a wave happened to show up

The problem here is that now that I look more closely (examining dwarves in the danger room with v) or checking various flashing (legendary) dwarves through the (u) menu I have realised that I have approximately 4-5 legendary sword/fighter/armour/shield dwarves that report to the danger-barracks occassionally but are not in any squads.  Moreover when I try and assign them to squads they are not present in the list of candidates.  I've double and triple checked this...I have dwarves in (u) that dont show under (m).

Now this is the first fort where i've managed to get as far as a barony and captain of the guard etc so I was thinking maybe they had ended up in one of those fortress/royal guard things I read about on the wiki.  But the CotG is in a squad by himself so i doubt he's to blame (his squad is not assigned to the danger-barracks anyway).

The reason this is starting to bug me is that an FB just flapped/squiggled its way into the caverns, when i stationed my dwarves to respond these rogue McLegendarys also reported along with the squad they had once been in, however as they are no longer officialy military they have no armour or weapons and went a-wrestling.

Also, when I first reloaded and noticed this, the squad was empty as i said, however pressing (s) indicated the correct (old) number of members next to the name and they still responded to stationing orders

Help?!

Edit: A little digging showed that these dwarves old weapons (named so easy to track) have turned up lying about randomly in the top few z's of my fort, forbidden.  I've unforbidden these and they were immediately scooped by newer dwarves

TL;DR  Dwarves vanish from their squad in (m) yet respond to orders given to the squad.  Dwarves are listed under (u) not listed under (m) for assigning to a squad
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:06:48 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves vanishing from military screen
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:50:48 am »

Similar bug, but it happened as soon as a titan shows up... squad still exists under the S hotkey but is unresponsive and doesn't show up under the military screen. 

Sorry haven't found a fix, just a similar bug.  Anyone else having this bug? First time encountered since the new version has released.

Ok some details, so it may be recreated:

I activated all 3 squads, then activated the emergency burrow putting all dwarves including the 3 squads in it, raised the drawbridges, all of them stationed the marksdwarves outside of the burrow.  Decided the titan wasn't a threat, as it was throwing frozen spittle and the syndrome won't apply. Deleted the burrow (I assume this is what cuased the glitch) now the military doesn't show up in their respective squads in the military screen but still appear under squads and do not take orders.

Edit: Details

I'll try loading the last save should solve my issue, you should try reloading your save and see if it is recreated.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:08:01 am by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Burning_Iceman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 12:27:43 pm »

There's  known bug which causes certain military related stuff to not be reset/loaded correctly when going from one savegame to another. To avoid this you must always close the game completely before loading a different savegame.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:38:40 pm »

Alrighty thanks.  I loaded a seasonal save which fixed things up for me though it cost me a few hours work
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

sutour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:52:36 pm »

There's  known bug which causes certain military related stuff to not be reset/loaded correctly when going from one savegame to another. To avoid this you must always close the game completely before loading a different savegame.

Does this bug 'get saved' so all later reloads have the issue if so I could have it as well and I'm quite a bit of play from where I think it would have been at. I've noticed that I can load one of those dwarves to another squad and then replace him, but he can't go to his initial squad and when I do put him in another squad then someone else vanishes.

Burning_Iceman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:20:17 pm »

I assume it does get saved. Maybe if you have a seasonal save with pretty much the same squad setup you can use the bug to "import" this setup into your actual savegame.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »

Something weird goin on here......
I had 3 squads, 2 sword squads and a couple of marksdwarves
Im now back in my original fort and something has gone a bit weird.  One of my sword squads was empty when I loaded the game, it has a name and a uniform assigned but no members, not even a militia captain.
Thinking this was a bit weird I refilled it with some random migrant peasants as a wave happened to show up

I had the same bug. Dorf mode is in need of bugfixing...
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »

It's an easy fix though, just restart the program before loading.  Shortcuts cause most of the bugs I've found...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."