Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The complexities of cage traps  (Read 394 times)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The complexities of cage traps
« on: November 05, 2010, 04:02:45 pm »

Alright, so, some creatures can't be caught in cages . . . easily.  There are various methods for getting around this.  They all come down to rendering the target helpless one way or another.

Some creatures can be caged if you knock them out.  Set up a cave-in and see if the survivors fall unconscious on cage traps.

Some creatures, though, can't be stunned.  You can still cage them if you get a giant cave spider to web them (and they are standing on cage traps).

However, awhile ago I heard something about dropping enemies from a height onto a cage trap, and I don't know where that idea belongs.  Does falling render any of the above enemy types vulnerable?  If so, how can I drop a big heavy enemy that is immune to weapon traps (which would be used to cause dodging into pits) and that prevents me from opening a bridge (which would be an easy drop mechanism)?

I've wondered what would happen if I dropped a cave-in onto a bridge, all suspended over a bunch of cage traps, while a big nasty foe was on it . . .

--Rexfelum

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: The complexities of cage traps
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:45:24 pm »

War dogs will make any beast dodge, if you have enough doggies on a catwalk above a pit you should be able to convince the target to dodge, has worked for me so far. 

As for falling onto traps being different, its really not, all that it is doing is causing the targets to get stunned from the fall and thus become vulnerable to the traps, creatures that cannot be stunned are still immune.  I just get the things to dodge and plummet 13 z levels and splatter on the floor.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:53:25 pm »

Alright, then.  That's a little less interesting.  (The idea that falling isn't special, I mean.)

Is there a simple list of creatures that are immune to stun?

--Rexfelum

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »

There are lots of creatures immune to stun, but the only ones that are immune to stun and immune to traps are the randomly generated creatures (i.e. titans, forgotten beasts, and HFS).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.