Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creature Occupying Site  (Read 3876 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Creature Occupying Site
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:01:18 pm »

I've got a small (for now) problem - Everytime I try to build a Siege Workshop, it gets suspended, because there's a "Creature Occupying Site."  However, it appears that the only creature in the area is the dwarf who is supposed to be building it.  I can't find any traces of pets or vermin.  Is there a way I can keep the Engineer from getting in his own way?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Occupying Site
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:14:02 pm »

I don't think he can get in his own way...Are you sure he doesn't have a pet cat or something that has been following him to the sight?
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:05:03 pm »

Actually, it appears that one of them does have a cat... but I have the same problem with both engineers, including the one that has no pets.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:10:44 pm »

Hmm this makes no sense to me, have you checked for anything hidden/forbidden occupying the area?  It is possible the game is reporting some item as a creature or something?  The guy building the workshop should definitely not get in his own way, I just made a dwarf build a seige workshop in an enclosed 5x5 room where he had to stand on the workshop itself to construct it and got no messages about anything blocking.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:46:05 pm »

I'm still having this problem.  I'm playing 0.31.14 now.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:14:12 am »

I suggest just watching him carefully to see what happens. It doesn't have to be his own pet, either. It could be any creature, even another dorf.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

madmutagen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 08:58:07 am »

This has happened to me before. A mason was building a single wall tile in a totally open area, and felt like standing on the wall tile while trying to build it.
Canceling the build order and redoing it fixed the problem after two or three tries.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 03:05:44 pm »

Just a suggestion, but could it be that the dwarf doing the construction can trigger this error if (s)he is standing on one of the dark green tiles while building? That would make a bit sense as light green tiles can be walked on, and thus a dwarf can stand on it when the construction is ready. If the dwarf is standing on dark green tile (s)he is standing on square which is blocked when building is ready, thus the building can not be constructed.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:48:09 am »

It looks to me like the dwarf stands in the same spot every time:  the exact center.  I'm pretty sure that's a light green spot.  I actually did manage to get the dwarves to build one of the two siege workshops I wanted, but the second one is still having this problem.  I've tried deconstructing and reconstructing several times.
I guess I don't really need 2, but it'd be nice.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 06:29:42 pm »

This is happening even more frequently now, with walls.  Very frustrating when you're attempting a megaproject.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:00:19 pm »

Two things I can think of:

1) Is this on a reclaim? I don't recall this sort of thing happening on reclaim, but reclaiming causes all kinds of weird bugs so I wouldn't be surprised.

2) Have goblin snatchers ever snatched anyone in this fort? I suspect that sometimes the kid doesn't get cleared properly, and it's possible that the game thinks the kid's still standing in the spot where it was snatched. If it's happening everywhere I doubt this is the case though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 01:46:56 am »

1.  Yeah, it's a reclaim.  Also, I've (mis)used Runesmith a bit, which can cause issues.
2.  I don't recall anyone ever being kidnapped, but it's possible.  However, most of these have been deep underground.