Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS loss.  (Read 451 times)

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS loss.
« on: November 04, 2010, 03:13:21 pm »

Alright, so I understand most things about fps and fps optimization. I have my dwarf cap set at 95, weather and temp turned off, my hallways are all 4wide. My fps cap is 120.

I just had a sudden fps drop from 115fps to 70fps after someone went into a mood and made a steel statue. It was immediate as soon as I unpaused from the notification.

Questions are:

Is the mood responsible?

What other things can I do to make my fps efficient. I've browsed the wiki.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS loss.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »

This may not be a related issue.

One of the most common causes of sudden, severe, FPS loss is unrevealed amubshers.  Send some soldiers out on patrol, and I bet you'll find a bunch of gobbos, or elves, if you have been an elfhater.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:19:07 pm »

About 40 seconds after posting, I got a few thieves unrevealed.

Thanks so much, great to know.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:32:46 pm »

two things i want to mention as serious fps killers: up/down stairways and path blockages.

dont use up/down stairways - i in fact avoid them almost entirely now and make spiral ramps. ramps apparently path a ton better than stairways and i've got a huge shaft going almost 100 z-levels without any fps loss (i can attribute the minor loss i have to other things that come and go). i read about doing this on another thread and someone had posted a design for a spiral ramp but i cant remember his name.

a few hours ago i suddenly dropped from 88 to 15 fps. the only other time this happened to me was when i tried to use the ocean to irrigate my soil (incredibly stupid as water from the ocean has pressure so high it doesnt flow, it just spawns everywhere - literally, there was never any water less than 7/7 flowing into my fortress, just a big arrow shape (for a frame before my whole for was flooded) of 7/7 water coming from the opening). this time it was because i had reclaimed all the items on the surface, set my alert to one without any burrows and forbid the doors leading outside. i got like a trillion job cancellations and a 70 fps hit.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »

Awesome for the info about up/down. Thank you. :]

I've actually got my entire fort based around one up/down 3x3 staircase right now. eek.

Next fort, I guess.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:15:32 pm »

Some people say say that up/down stairways are bad for fps, but others say that ramps are worse.
I myself have no evidence to support one statement over the other.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 06:57:45 pm »

maybe the actual fps cost changes depending on how you make them. the width and design of a spiral ramp might be affecting pathing, as could the actual placement of an up/down stairway shaft (or its diameter as well).
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...