Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uniforms?  (Read 459 times)

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uniforms?
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:48:23 pm »

In the default uniform list I see the items like "footwear" and "shield/buckler." Where are those when I make my own uniforms? I only see specifics and no generals. Or would it be better to set specifics because they all have basically the same defense values?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:59:09 pm »

Look at the top three lines when defining a new uniform, it's all up there.  "A" to pick body armor (breastplate, shirt, cloak) "L" for legs (greaves, leggings) etc.  After you have selected a given piece's type you can hit "M" to force a specific material for that piece.

ps: setting specific equipment is very nearly useless unless you're dealing with only a couple of dwarves, or with very specific items like artifacts, because after assigning a specific item to one dwarf you're still allowed to assign it to any other, with no way to tell it's already assigned (sort of like assigning dwarves to squads but at least you can nickname squaddies)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:01:09 pm by FleshForge »

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:45:29 pm »

Look at the top three lines when defining a new uniform, it's all up there.  "A" to pick body armor (breastplate, shirt, cloak) "L" for legs (greaves, leggings) etc.  After you have selected a given piece's type you can hit "M" to force a specific material for that piece.

ps: setting specific equipment is very nearly useless unless you're dealing with only a couple of dwarves, or with very specific items like artifacts, because after assigning a specific item to one dwarf you're still allowed to assign it to any other, with no way to tell it's already assigned (sort of like assigning dwarves to squads but at least you can nickname squaddies)
I don't think that's quite what he means. When you begin, there are several default uniforms. Take 'Metal Armor' as an example. It's got items listed like "footwear" and "legwear". Not "low boots" or "greaves" but "generic item type". I'm not sure I've seen those categories either, though I've not been relying on them.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:52:02 pm »

It's better to set them to specifics, because then they go off on 'Pickup Equipment' less often. If you're still working on supply, then you can still set them to specific with 'Partial Match'. When you have all gear available, if you set them to 'Exact Match', they'll only go Pickup when a better quality of the same gear is produced and unclaimed.

EDIT: Also, if you specify exact leather types and cloth/silk colors, and are able to supply exactly that in sufficient stockpiles located in key areas, that's absolutely best. Even if they're reporting underequipped, it helps them find the nearest gear so they can get back to orders in full uniform.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:54:41 pm by Uzu Bash »