Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All of my animals are bleeding to death  (Read 884 times)

luciensanchez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
All of my animals are bleeding to death
« on: November 03, 2010, 06:11:19 pm »

Topic says it all, really.  In the last ten minutes, all of my animals have begun bleeding to death, with no apparent cause. 
Earlier in the game several were killed because they wouldn't stay out of the danger room, but this plague of bleeding seems to be taking all of them, regardless of their location.  Horses, puppies, kittens, hunting dogs, war dogs.  Every few seconds a new message or two.  Anyone seen this before?  Latest version and all that, no mods.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: All of my animals are bleeding to death
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:15:19 pm »

a forgotten beas bood on the floor or something?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »

Is it a very very cold or a very very hot climate?  Dogs don't wear socks.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

luciensanchez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:28:28 pm »

Hm.  The climate is pleasantly warm, and the animals have been fine for a few years now.  Forgotten beast?  We had a couple of those earlier, but I had the caverns sealed off so we never engaged them.  The first one took out half the antmen before being killed.  The second killed the remaining antmen and then went and sulked in the corner for awhile before dropping dead (of loneliness? boredom?).  Come to think of it, that last bugger did have 'deadly breath'.  Could his deadly breath have lingered in the air long enough to start killing all of the animals when we opened the caverns a second time?  Furthermore, could his own deadly breath have in fact been the cause of his own mysterious demise?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:32:49 pm »

Hmm...Well, when you look at the critters do they have any coverings on their body parts like FB spit because that really is the most likely cause now.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 06:40:54 pm »

I get the same thing sometimes. Even if no one died in the initial fight, if anyone got the extract on their armor or weapon and later cleaned it off or walked through water, no matter how old, smeared or dried that extract is, it turns into a pool. Anyone who walks through it barefort, like animals and children and long-time residents, will be infected with the associated syndrome.

The instant 'bleed to death' effect is one of the crueler ones that still afflicts my fort.

luciensanchez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:54:11 pm »

That's got to be it I suppose.  It's now spread to the dwarves; in approximately three minutes of having the game open again I lost five dwarves and seven more animals.  And you know what?  It was one dwarf.  One lonely siege operator wandered into the caverns to grab an antman corpse to toss in the refuse pile before I forbade the rest of them, he must have tracked the tainted forgotten beast extract back into the fort and contaminated everyone else.  None of the bodies or animals, however, display anything unusual in the inventory tab other than water coverings and smears of blood from the most recently departed.
Regardless, it was all going quite well until everybody died.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:01:30 pm »

Regardless, it was all going quite well until everybody died.

Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 07:14:21 pm »

You could use dfclean every time you see the message, that'll eventually clear it out. It's a cheat, I can't deny, but bugginess makes cheats acceptible.

luciensanchez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »

You could use dfclean every time you see the message, that'll eventually clear it out. It's a cheat, I can't deny, but bugginess makes cheats acceptible.

Nah, not this time.  I've savescummed far too often in my Dwarf Fortress career.  I get too attached to my dwarves (I love those little guys!) and I need to learn to let go and deal with loss, and that losing is fun.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »

Well, if legitimate loss and straight-up screwage are one in the same to you, then I guess you're right.

As for me, my count has been striken with the same non-lethal beast sickness so many times, all I have to do to save-scum is look at his health history for the game to crash. "Oh noes! How could I forsee that happening!"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:30:04 pm by Uzu Bash »