Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regenerating liquids  (Read 677 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Regenerating liquids
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:39:07 pm »

From what I understand, oceans, rivers, volcanoes, and the magma sea all regenerate their lost liquids, even when frozen. What i don't know is how often they do this. Does anybody know?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Regenerating liquids
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:07:09 pm »

Ocean tiles and river source tiles 1 beyond edge of map behave like an aquifer. The magma sea uses the same mechanics.

As for the volcanoes, I have no clue. Sometimes I see a 7/7 tile of magma spawn at the topmost volcano level. I don't know exactly how multiple levels refill.

Edit: fixed typo.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:26:58 pm »

Volcanoes refill by intermittently and randomly having "spurts" of magma composed of 1-3 blocks of 7/7 magma stacked directly on top of one another.

Water bodies and the magma sea refill constantly from the map edge. Bodies of water won't "refill" when frozen in the sense that more water/ice won't appear in a frozen lake, but any square with water in it will turn into an ice wall when it gets cold enough and ice walls will turn into 7/7 water when they get warm enough, so a partially full pool will gain water during the freezing cycle.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »

So if I am in an area where water is frozen year-round, and I mine some of the ice out, it won't respawn and insta-kill any dwarves using the area at the time?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:44:54 pm »

Nope, not unless you put magma adjacent to it, heating the ice and melting it to water, then removed the magma to refreeze it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 07:52:37 pm »

Alright, thanks for all the responses.