Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning off all merchants  (Read 685 times)

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turning off all merchants
« on: October 31, 2010, 09:03:29 am »

The traders constantly interrupting things is just annoying now and the fortress runs itself.  Has anyone found a way to stop all traders from bothering the fortress?  Turning economy off didn't seem to help.
igrants have arrived from El Paso.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turning off all merchants
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:43:38 am »

Deconstruct your trade depot?  Or maybe just wall it in?

in 40d, you'd get a message that traders bypass your site due to an inaccessible trade depot, so I bet it's the same in the new version

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 11:48:24 am »

I don't think that you can stop them coming, but you can stop the game pausing and centreing the screen on them when they arrive in one of the announcement txt's.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:04:03 pm »

You can piss of the traders enough so that they will stop trading with you. However from my point of view you can just ignore them and let them stand inside until next year. They don't actually generate any jobs right?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:26:36 pm »

Now is the time to perform fun experiments like a a trade depot on a tower 10 z levels high supported by a single lever and a dwarf with an itchy trigger finger.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:55 pm »

Try going to the raws and remove [PACK_ANIMAL] from all the animals that have it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:40:38 am »

Or embark in dead world: no-one will ever come to bother you.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:58:57 am »

Around the entire edge of the map build single tile deep raising bridges, places so that when the bridges raise they block off the edge tiles.  Make sure to cover every edge tile with them.  Then raise them.  Nothing will be able to enter the map.  This will prevent caravans, immigrants, liaisons and diplomats, thieves, ambushers, and sieges.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:26:28 am »

If yer going for the mod route.  Remove [CAN_SPEAK] from elves and humans will stop those 2 bunches, not sure that'll work well for dwarves however as it may remove your own guys ability to chat with each other.

Probably more efficient is deconstructing the depot so that they just walk right by
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 04:22:58 pm »

Quarantine your leader. You can build a self contained, perfectly sealed bunker with a well and farm for your leader. Have him work the farm himself. He will be unable to talk to anyone, ever. Diplomats will end up just hanging out in your meeting zone, possibly until they go crazy, at which point you can make -elf tallow roasts-.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 09:45:10 pm »

Open entity_default.

Remove all the [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING] etc. tags from dwarves, elves, and humans.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod