Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military equipment, Chinese fire drill [SOLVED]  (Read 1175 times)

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military equipment, Chinese fire drill [SOLVED]
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:13:45 pm »

My military hates me. First that burrow stuff, now this. I kept having issues with my axe squad running down to the armory to re-equip every single time I told them to do something, so I built a stockpile right next to the barracks with the proper weapons/armor tagged for storage there. Now they won't stop re-equipping! It's this insane cluster of dwarves running the five squares between the barracks and the new 'armory', picking up or dropping off equipment. And of COURSE, the damn military won't store their gear in bins, they just drop it on the floor when they trade out, so my haulers are swarming the area as well, cleaning up after them.

What could cause this mass equipment-swap job order spam? I even tried removing boots and gauntlets from their uniforms, thinking it might be the right/left item glitch throwing it off. No such luck. They won't do anything now, other than run madly in circles between the barracks, their training room, and the armory.

Edit: Okay, figured it out. It seems that while assigning two gauntlets in the uniform is all well and good, assigning two BOOTS just isn't kosher. Removed the duplicate footwear and the problems went away.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:34:02 am by JarinArenos »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Military equipment, Chinese fire drill
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:47:28 pm »

Give them specific pieces of equipment.
I believe that equiping one dwarf does not stop that piece of armor/weapon from appearing on the lists of others, so watch you don't assign the same item twice.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:52:39 pm »

I've got the same glitch with my marksdwarves, apparently hunters, miners, and tree cutters who use the same equipment when activated.  Another glitch from guantlets or anything relating to left/right.  Of course dwarves don't know the difference from a left and right guantlet...  You most likely also get Item mismatch spam messages.

Remove guantlets/boots from uniform and remove proffesions that uses an axe, pick, or crossbow. Then deactivate units, wait for them to drop their crap, and reactivate. Should fix it.

Edit:
Zerg's solution is valid.  But try removing woodcutter from those axedwarves, I think it will help.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:57:42 pm by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 09:58:07 pm »

I didn't have them assigned to anything, actually. They were supposed to be full-time military. I also kept getting "has become [x default profession that they've never had activated]" and "has become an Axedwarf" spam.

Edit: Any tips on assigning specific armor to a militia of 10 or more?

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:22:33 pm »

I hear its a pain, try nicknaming your dwarves.  Then assign different guantlets, make sure they don't get the same items assigned.  Try running dwarf therapist, remove the associated labors. Try running DFhack DFCLEARTASK.

I personally just removed guantlets, took them off-duty let them redrop their gear and repickup. Ran DFCLEARTASK and dwarf therapist, then put them back on duty and they fell out of the loop.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:52:20 am »

Cleartask, I didn't try that. I'll give it a shot.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 03:51:34 am »

All else fails, disband the squad, then remake it. This will reset equipment assignments.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:52:51 am »

I also kept getting "has become [x default profession that they've never had activated]" and "has become an Axedwarf" spam.

I noticed this one too. They usually do it the first day of the month, when they change shift (i.e when their squad goes from "training" to "no duty" on the schedule
When a military dwarf is not on active duty (training, fighting, etc...), he goes back to the job he's most experienced with ("miner" if his best skill is "mining", for example), just as any civilian dwarf.
In fact, I use these messages to count time : two full squads changing military status means a new month has begun ^^

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 07:45:54 am »

Gear pickup spam supposedly should stop once they are all masterfully geared. So... keep training that amourer
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:43:25 am »

Actually, if you assign specific pieces of gear, and you assign something that has already been assigned to someone else, then the guy you newly assigned it to will get it, and the guy who previously had it will remove it from his list of gear, so it doesn't lead to an endless spam of them swapping gear.

Now if I could just figure out by what factor the list of specific gear is ordered since it keeps changing...