Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mooded dwarf demanding Rock Bars.  (Read 516 times)

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mooded dwarf demanding Rock Bars.
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:32:26 pm »

Currently, I have a mooded dwarf demanding the following:

Tanned Hides (745)
Rock Bars (What?)
Rock (2071)
Cut Gems (146)
Rough Gems (71, but only 5 of these are actual gems, the others are variations of glass.)
Rough Gems (Holds for 2x as long.)
Rock Bars (I still don't understand.)
Rock Blocks (27)

He has access to all these materials, first thing I checked. None of these materials are forbidden or dumped, second thing I checked.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as rock bars. I have everything else, so I'm pretty sure it's this.

So, what the hell are rock bars ? And, if they're unobtainable, is there a workaround so I don't have to deal with this dwarf ?
I'll dig up more gems as I wait for responses, I guess.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Mooded dwarf demanding Rock Bars.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:36:48 pm »

Rock bars are actually metal bars.

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:15 pm »

I have 125 iron, 40 gold, 30 silver, around 50 steel, and whatever I've bought from all the caravans over the years.

It could be the rough gems, I'll keep looking.

EDIT: I have everything, and this dwarf still won't complete his mood. Anything else I could be overlooking ?

EDIT EDIT: He suddenly got up and started grabbing everything, started with rock blocks, which I wasn't even building.

Ah well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:53:58 pm by OrionKale »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:49 pm »

Just so you know, dwarves will sometimes want specific things from their preferences, so be prepared for that.

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:14:10 pm »

Oh, thanks - I wasn't aware that had any effect on anything other than Noble demands or happiness levels.

Awesome to know.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 09:23:49 am »

EDIT EDIT: He suddenly got up and started grabbing everything, started with rock blocks, which I wasn't even building.

Ah well.

It's my understanding that they won't gather anything unless everything is available.  So even tho you had everything he wanted except one specific type of Metal Bar, he won't do anything.   So you must have smelted that one specific type of Bar (or a rough Gem - you said you would keep looking for more Gems to mine) he was needing when he started gathering stuff.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:25:41 am by GJScarritt »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:45:36 am »

I'm pretty sure I've seen them get a couple of things and then stop - but yeah if they stall on something then chances are it isn't the only thing they'll go and pick up once they're not stalled any more.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:02:32 pm »

Moody dwarves gather their materials in a very specific order - if a moody dwarf wants 2 metal bars, a piece of leather, a rock, 2 rough gems, and a wood log, (s)he won't even think about getting the rock until after the leather has been collected. Also, from my own experience, material preferences only seem to matter for the artifact's primary material, and even then it only seems to happen with metalworking moods - a moody armorsmith who likes rose gold may insist on making his low boot out of rose gold and outright refuse to collect any other type of metal, while other dwarves don't seem to mind what material they use (with several exceptions: if you have adamantine wafers, metalworkers seem to treat it as their favorite metal and always insist on using it, and weavers/clothiers seem to do the same when you have woven some adamantine cloth).

In case you're curious, I'm fairly certain the whole "rock bars" thing is a bug that was introduced when MATGLOSS_STONE and MATGLOSS_METAL got merged into the single "INORGANIC" material category - the game no longer has a generic term for "metal" (outside of military uniforms) and just uses the solid state name for the generic hardcoded INORGANIC material (some memory hacking could probably verify this), which is called "rock" (and is what you see in Arena mode).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:09:26 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.