Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Basic Questions: Rivers and Beasts  (Read 901 times)

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Basic Questions: Rivers and Beasts
« on: November 08, 2010, 03:14:39 am »

Howdy,

I can't seem to cross rivers with out traveling with shift T. Tried alt direction but this did nothing when I selected going into the brook. Interestingly I could fling myself into the abys if I traveled north a bit putting me into the river but severly hurt and then unable to get back up. So how do I cross rivers?

Also I cant seem to find any wildlife or things to kill/be killed by, are they not common in .16?

If anyone can point me to a Adventure mode guide Id be thankful since google has failed me.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Questions: Rivers and Beasts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:17:50 am »

Adventure mode is actually very buggy in the current version... Apparently .17 is coming out any second now, and should fix it up nicely and add  a wagon-load of new features! ...But I don't know, I'm new here.
With the crossing rivers, I had that problem, but I just tried 'alt+direction' repeatedly and after a while it worked...
As for wildlife, you encounter them while fast-travelling with 'T', just as you move around. It's rare to find them otherwise.
Oh, and try speaking to a warlord in the human towns, they just might have something for you to do. :)
There -are- a lot of bugs in the current version of adventure mode... Like I can never find my way into a computer-built town other than human ones.
Some people prefer using older versions, but most say it's just better to stick with .16 until the new one comes out. :D Shouldn't be long now... Hope that helped.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:52:03 pm »

I used the DF wiki to learn the basics of adventure mode. Yes it's mainly for fortress mode but it still has adventure mode pages.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:50:20 pm »

in the current version (.16) towns are not in adventure mode...if you want a more complete adventure mode experience I would recommend going back to version .12

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:00:21 pm »

Adventure mode is actually very buggy in the current version... Apparently .17 is coming out any second now, and should fix it up nicely and add  a wagon-load of new features! ...But I don't know, I'm new here.
With the crossing rivers, I had that problem, but I just tried 'alt+direction' repeatedly and after a while it worked...
As for wildlife, you encounter them while fast-travelling with 'T', just as you move around. It's rare to find them otherwise.
Oh, and try speaking to a warlord in the human towns, they just might have something for you to do. :)
There -are- a lot of bugs in the current version of adventure mode... Like I can never find my way into a computer-built town other than human ones.
Some people prefer using older versions, but most say it's just better to stick with .16 until the new one comes out. :D Shouldn't be long now... Hope that helped.
If for you "any second now" means "sometime this week" then I agree

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 03:43:21 pm »

With trying to get into rivers, you might want to make sure you're just one z-level above the water, as otherwise you're going off a short chasm on the sides of the river which risks injury and you can't climb back out of..

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 03:46:46 pm »

Alt-moving seems to be a bit buggy for me, try doing it twice in a row.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 04:27:34 pm »

I always need to hit '5' to wait a step after alt-moving before it works.  That would be a nice bug to get fixed with all the other adventure mode stuff going in with the next release.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 05:02:23 pm »

I had problems with alt-moving, but figured out that you needed to hit enter (or 5, apparently) after you selected your option.  I'm in .12, though I doubt it's changed.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 06:57:04 pm »

The way I do alt-move is this:

alt-direction
select option
alt-same direction
*character moves, menu opens again*
esc to close menu

Does anyone have a better method, and does Toady know about the glitch?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:36:20 pm »

It's on the tracker, so he presumably knows about it.  "Annoying but relatively functional" bugs are probably lower priority.
The tracker had an easier work around, just left-clicking in the window after issuing the command will get time to advance.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:40:08 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

DumbfoundedElf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 12:02:31 am »

For the alt-moving, it's not really a bug for me because I found out that if you choose the direction and then press either SHIFT+, or SHIFT+. (moving up and down z-tiles in fortress mode if you didn't know) then it works.