Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma drop  (Read 433 times)

HermitDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma drop
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:04:46 pm »

I have a 3 tile wide path across a volcano. It goes Grate-Floor-Grate. I want to build a 1 tile wide channel several z levels above the path, over the center tiles, and have it drop the magma on the path when triggered. Will the magma spread while it's in the air? Would the falling 7/7 magma be enough to kill any gobbos on the path and burn away their clothes before it drains down the grates. Building destroyers aren't an issue. My pop kept low enough to not attract any.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Magma drop
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:35:31 pm »

If I understand your setup correctly, I once used a similar design.  On z-1 I had a magma reservoir.on z-0 I had a path of grates with solid floor tiles just often enough to support the grates.  On z+1 I had magma pumps that would pull from the reservoir two levels below and pump it up to fall onto z-0.

My setup would frequently drop 3/7 magma tiles rather than 7/7 magma tiles.  I'm not sure if the magma spread out as it fell 1 z level, but it didn't matter for my design because the magma would have to flow onto the grates to drain off.  If it's anything like water I'd assume that it will spread out but not much over only one z.

My biggest problem was with goblins being able to path through the trap.  I intended to design it as something that gobbos would just walk right through, but I had to toggle it on an off to lure anyone in.
At last, she is done.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma drop
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 03:40:10 am »

Magma (and water) does not spread while fallling. It only spreads when it hits the ground.

And if you drop 7/7 magma over the full length of the path, the goblins and all their stuff will likely be washed off the path and into the volcano. Where it will drop all the way down into the magma sea and vanish on the semi-molten rock.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.