Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need good cards for my new computer  (Read 709 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need good cards for my new computer
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:35:37 am »

Well my rich neighbor decided he doesn't need this high quality computer with 2 screen connected to it so he is giving it to me XD.

I just need to get a graphics card and sound card.

It's a dell and I want the best ones for gaming. I googled some and found this.

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=5/form_keyword=Radeon%20HD%206870/st=filter

But haven't found any good sound cards. Is that graphic card in the link a good gaming card? Or are their much better ones?

Also, are there some card that I WON'T be able to use?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 10:37:45 am by Micro102 »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need good cards for my new computer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 12:09:00 pm »

high quality computer
It's a dell
???

Also, that site seems to be extraordinarily bare on details, and you posted a list, not an individual card. Looking at the details on the first card on the list(ATI Radeon 6870HD) shown elsewhere, it would be an excellent card, assuming your Dell can actually install it(does it have a PCI-E 2.0 slot? Does the PSU have enough output to power it?).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:51:53 pm »

I don't know :(

And aren't they all Radeon HD 6870s?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:59:51 pm »

Oh, they are. My bad :-[. Either way, check that your computer can actually use them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 01:35:27 pm »

How would I do that? I is somewhere in a file, or do I manually have to open up the computer and check?

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 03:08:03 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:19:05 am by Stany »

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »

Do you have the computer yet? If it's a Dell, you should just be able to look up the model number on their website to see what it can support, and what it can't.

Also, does it need a new sound card? Almost any modern motherboard should have an onboard audio controller of some kind. If you want better quality or surround sound, you'd need to get buy a card, but if that doesn't matter to you, you might not.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.