Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freezing Arrow effects questions  (Read 1035 times)

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
Freezing Arrow effects questions
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:13:35 am »

So I made a reaction that makes an arrow with freezing effects with this inorganic material:

[INORGANIC:FREEZE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SUBSTANCE_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME:ALL:ice]
   [STATE_ADJ:ALL:ice]
   [SPEC_HEAT:4]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10]
   [IGNITE_POINT:16000]

Tested it in the arena:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It got stuck in it's upper body & it definitely worked like a charm, not only freezing the outer bodyparts but eventually freezing his ribs, lungs & such as well.

Although it seems there are other effects that also happen at times like:
It is accompanied by some smoke & steam as well as the cries of pain & anguish...

Sometimes it even works in another different yet just as satisfying way...I controlled the victim to see it 1st hand:

So what I'm curious to know is the why's & how's of the other after effects. Could it be the temperature of the target or is it the arena's that triggers them? Maybe because one of the test subjects had it's throat cut & gushing blood all over & it turning to burning steam?

Though I'll still be using it as is in my adventures for science & fun's sake :D
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing Arrow effects questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:27:14 am »

I have no idea. The arena is insanely hot though-about 120 degrees F.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:10:09 pm »

While clearly not what's being modeled here, it's interesting to note that human sensation for "burning" is triggered by a firing of the "warm" and "cold" neural receptors.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:16:34 pm »

[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10]

Some say that values this low are something of a bad idea, as the game's representation of absolute zero is approximately 9508. It might be better to set the material to a temperature that's at least slightly realistic, if only so its effects on creatures of varying body temperatures are semi-accurate.

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »

Maybe the whole "burning" thing instead of freezing happened because the cold was so cold, that in some calculation the value for temperature (improperly) looped around and became the hottest possible temperature, rather than capping itself off at the minimum.

Also a possiblity, The low specific heat. The arrows might be warming up in flight, then transferring that heat upon lodging itself into a skull. This one is testable though; see if the distance between the shooter and the target makes a difference in whether or not the target becomes frostbitten or toasted. If it does, then there is your problem.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:32:41 pm »

Or...

[SPEC_HEAT:4]

That's Specific Heat
The warm arena is probably raising the material to ungodly high temperatures due to the way DF simulates specific heat.
Fixed material temperatures are not always fixed forever, in my experience.

Try setting SPEC_HEAT to a high value, the highest in the raws...
*does quick grep of raws*
Adamantine is 7500
Dragon's body is 30000
Try 7500
That should make the material get warm very slowly.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 09:50:45 pm »

Thanks for the added info...I'll try it out as soon as the my original stats are tested enough on adventure modes sentients.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...