Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma and Steam  (Read 361 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma and Steam
« on: November 02, 2010, 03:15:40 am »

I was digging down into a very interesting ore vein when some magma appeared at my miners' feet.  There were no injuries, but it was a pain to eliminate the magma and reclaim the lost ore.  So I don't want that to happen again, but I don't understand where the magma came from.

The dig site was:
Code: [Select]
z = 0
XXXX
XX_X
XX_X
X_<X
XX>X
XXXX

z = -1
MMMM
MXXM
MMXX
XXXX
XXXX
XXXX

M = Magma
X = Rock
_ = Empty Space w/ Cavern Floor
< and > = Up and Down stairs

And in case it's relevant (which it shouldn't be) there's plenty of magma above this spot.  And this is not a magma pipe, though there is a magma pipe above this spot.  The square below the down stair doesn't even flash as being warm.

It was never much magma, just depth 1 and 2.  And by the time I built a pit over it to drop some water, half of the squares didn't even have any magma.  But I still don't understand.  Where did the magma come from?

And after I dropped the water I got steam, which I expected.  What I didn't expect is that it would keep on steaming after all visible magma was gone.  So now I'm worried.  The wiki says that steam is only formed when magma touches water.  Is magma still somehow coming up into this spot, or is wiki wrong and the steam is from water sitting atop warm stone?