Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: damn, thats a lot of kobolds...  (Read 1199 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
damn, thats a lot of kobolds...
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:07:38 pm »

I'm not that great when it comes to fortress defense, I just wall my self off and rely on the traders to clear up any ambushes. This leads to a lot of undefended gear outside my walls which either the macaques or the kobolds steal. I just got a nice sized immigrant wave which revealed about 7 kobold ambushes and 2 goblin ambushes, and the kobold archers are using steal arrows. There is only one glass maker running around now with just about a whole army chasing after him. It actually looks kind of funny.

on a related note, are ambush kobolds still immune to traps or is it only the thieves?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:10:49 pm by yaklin »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: damn, thats a lot of kobolds...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:13:01 pm »

Nope, they can still be be crushed, caged and sliced by your traps.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:21:40 pm »

Fortunately, Kobolds are not racially trap-immune.  Unfortunately, all thieves are.  Meaning that a thief from any race will avoid traps and be undetected until they bump right into someone.  Usually with unfortunate results for whomever they've bumped into.
Sanity is for the weak.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:22:16 pm »

ok that's good.

nope, not good the kobolds just walked right over my traps, good thing I have multiple layers of bridges.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:29:56 pm by yaklin »

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:42:55 pm »

Fortunately, Kobolds are not racially trap-immune.  Unfortunately, all thieves are.  Meaning that a thief from any race will avoid traps and be undetected until they bump right into someone.  Usually with unfortunate results for whomever they've bumped into.

hmm not precisely. While thieves are stealthed they are ALL trap immune. However, goblin thieves and I believe any other thief besides kobolds are not trap immune once detected. Kobold thieves are nearly always trap immune excepting when they are incapacitated.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:52:53 pm »

Wrong - you've got it backwards. Kobolds themselves have [TRAPAVOID], which will permit them to waltz right through all of your traps without setting them off. There's nothing that permits thieves specifically to avoid traps, which is why goblin babysnatchers will trigger them so readily.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »

is there any way to stop the kobolds from raiding me? and will making them not immune to traps require a regen?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 06:21:17 pm »

The more successful the thieves are, the more they will send... and eventually they will send raiding parties if they are very very successful. Clean up all that crap outside so they have nothing easy to steal and you will only get 1 - 3 thieves per year or so (at least this is how it used to work, I've never had kobolds survive worldgen in the 2010 versions)

I *think* you can just delete the trapavoid tag and it will work instantly without a regen (be sure to edit the one in the save file too not just the main game files). I'm not 100% sure, since I've never done it, but people manage to delete creature's hearts and make them instantly drop dead or make cats explode at room temperature so I think something like that would work.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!