Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants only come in spring  (Read 927 times)

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants only come in spring
« on: October 31, 2010, 09:19:36 am »

I've had two games in a row now when migrants only arrive in the spring (other then the first two small hardcoded waves). I get a nice batch - 20-25 or so, but after that nothing the rest of the year. I have plenty of wealth (8 million, 3rd year), and while I'm now playing the fortress defense mod (hence why I need more dwarves) this also happened when I played without mods.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe my zone is too savage - previously I played in calm surroundings and I got immigrants all year round but both of these games were in untamed wilds.

If savagery really does have this effect... does evil biome also have it?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants only come in spring
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:25:16 am »

No, this is normal behaviour. It's the exception that (other than the first year), you get migrants in summer and autumn.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:05:26 pm »

I had one of my games with only migrants in winter. This was however on an isle. So they would not have been able to spawn anywhere on the map if they would have arrived on a diffrend part of the year.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:20:16 pm »

I've had two games in a row now when migrants only arrive in the spring (other then the first two small hardcoded waves). I get a nice batch - 20-25 or so, but after that nothing the rest of the year. I have plenty of wealth (8 million, 3rd year), and while I'm now playing the fortress defense mod (hence why I need more dwarves) this also happened when I played without mods.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe my zone is too savage - previously I played in calm surroundings and I got immigrants all year round but both of these games were in untamed wilds.

If savagery really does have this effect... does evil biome also have it?

Might this be influenced by donations to other civs through merchants?
Try donating lots of useless stuff to the humans and see how it goes?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:57:23 am »

I don't think so.. I do usually donate a fair bit.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:37:24 am »

I wonder if its perhaps a function of distance to your parent civ.

It could be that the migrants all depart at the usual times, and then that distance to your fort impacts when they actually arrive.

Just thinking this as I believe that there is a 'travel time' coded into the game somewhere.  I discovered this in the FortDefense mod actually when playing about with giving CAN_SPEAK to various races (causing them to arrive as merchants).  When I removed the speak tag again i still often got 1 more caravan from that race before they started showing up as seiges (Hence theorized 'travel time' as SPEAK enabled merchants were perhaps already en-route when the tag was reset)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:58:25 am »

Is terrain taken into account? Like maybe there's a river (or other blocking body of water) between you and your mountainhome, which is only passable in the winter when it freezes, thus migrants stack up on the other side throughout the year, cross in the winter, and arrive in the spring?

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:54:03 am »

That would be pretty interesting Jarin, but there's only a brook near my location, and it's a hot climate so no freezing at all. I still think that it has something to do with savagery, my previous game in a calm location had immigrants all year round.

And celem, I'm sure that's some sort of factor, but it would only delay when your migrants arrive, if they are dispatched more then once a year you should get migrants more then once a year, even if each is delayed a month or two.

SpawnoChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mongbat
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 04:56:12 pm »

I actually have the reverse problem; I have too many dwarves!

Right now I'm close to 300 of them... and more still arrive every year. I'm self-sustaining, and have been since my forts creation 13 in-game years ago.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - The Call of Cthulhu