Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Player. Dwarf Therapist and some other questions.  (Read 819 times)

ToxicSheep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New Player. Dwarf Therapist and some other questions.
« on: November 01, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »

Hello everyone!

First post here! I started playing DF 3 days ago and i must say, i'm really getting into it!

I checked out this mod called Dwarf Therapist, some people said they split their dwarfs up into groups which they call Custom Professions?

Miners, which will do nothing but mine/haul
Crafters, which will do nothing but craft.
Farmers, which will do nothing but Farm.
Woodcutters/Gatherers/Fishermen, which will do nothing but Cut Trees, Gather plants and fish.
and so on.

Should i start with this stuff too? it seems like a lot of work and quite complicated for a new player.
Should i even get into this mod at all? it really seems confusing, especially when i get migrant waves and i have to fiddle around with it.

Any help is appreciated and like i said, i just started 3 days ago. I read through the newbie tutorial, Some things got me confused because of outdated stuff :(. i also watched some videos on youtube which helped out greatly!
I have yet to get attacked by anyone, its usually only thieves which do get quite annoying so, when would be a good time to start building up my military?

Oh and i am using the LazyNewbPack with Phoebus' tileset i believe.

Thanks!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: New Player. Dwarf Therapist and some other questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:31:29 am »

I don't use therapist myself, but I hear it's very helpful.
The sooner you start with a military, the better. If you get some migrants with fighting skills, make a barracks (from a bed, weapons rack, or armor stand) and draft them. If you set their scedual's ([m]->[ s]) minimum to less dwarves than the number in the squad, they will train very nicely.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:09:11 am »

One of the main reasons I love Dwarf Therapist is that it puts the ability to view and modify the skill sets of your dwarfs in a simple and easy to read place rather than picking through each dwarf one at a time. But for the time being it sounds like you need to focus more on learning the ins and outs of the game rather than fussing over Urist McMiner hauling furniture or rocks.

When you see people talking about their Custom Professions keep in mind that they've likely been playing this game for a very long time and are to a level of micro-management that is far past anything you'd ever need to worry about just starting out. Building your military is good to do right away but this again comes down to playing once you've got a solid idea of what you want to do. When you're still trying to figure out how to balance food and drink fussing about your military and their equipment can really take the fun out of learning how to play.

Personally I suggest picking something that you don't understand and figuring it out while the majority of your fortress starves to death while being stabbed by goblins. When I first started I took a hand full of dwarfs, dug into the hillside, walled up the entry and told any migrants that showed up to piss off while I figured out how flood gates, or farms worked.

ToxicSheep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:24:18 am »

When I first started I took a hand full of dwarfs, dug into the hillside, walled up the entry and told any migrants that showed up to piss off while I figured out how flood gates, or farms worked.

LOL! That made me laugh, thanks!

Right now, I'm just at the point where i ask myself "should expand now? or wait a little longer". I usually expand right after i got my farm build.

keep the tips coming!

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 06:01:09 am »

On DT: It does take a little while to decide what custom professions you want to use. But once you have them set up, you can move dwarves into professions very easily - hence making it simple when 23 migrants arrive and you want to get them quickly divided into their main skill areas.

I also use a custom profession that is a bit of hauling and not much else and I place any dwarf who's going to be a military dwarf in that group. When it comes to making squads, I can easily see the dwarves I want to use on the military screen as they have their custom profession name after their proper name - easy to tell which you want, which you don't.

but as already said, get food/booze going first. then work on a bit of defence / rooms for dwarfs. then think about crafts / expanding / etc. :)

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition