Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mayoral militia  (Read 622 times)

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mayoral militia
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »

A while back I set my expedition leader as a militia captain, as he was the best dwarf I had at archery. I wasn't thinking ahead, and he has now become the mayor. (This is the first fortress I've ever had get to this many dwarfs, so I didn't even realize this would happen.)

I'm wondering, his duties as leader never effected his role in the military, but now that he's a mayor, what with requirements and mandates and such, should I assign someone else as mayor? He does have by far the best qualifications, so I'd rather not, but my military running smoothly is more important.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mayoral militia
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:36:56 pm »

Something else I just noticed might be a problem. He is a High Master at archery. I'm not sure if that skill can make a dwarf a Hero, but he is also a level ten marksdwarf. It says in the wiki a hero can't do anything other than military (or fortress guard, if that's what he was, though I'm not sure if the fortress guard is still in the game since DF2010).

So what if my mayor militia captain becomes a Hero or Champion?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 12:14:59 am »

That was a 40d thing.

Pretty much there shouldn't be any problems. If he was also manager, bookkeeper and broker you could have a little trouble with those things but only in the obvious times you were using them.

The champion you choose so he won't be that.

Unless you're playing 40d in which case you'll have to remove him from the military soon if you want him to ever not be a soldier. Mayor still doesn't specifically do anything that would cause trouble though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:19:24 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:22:28 am »

Cool, thanks. That's a load off my mind. Which makes room for me to worry about my first ever Forgotten Beast that just appeared! Beware its noxious secretions!

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 12:35:23 am »

Also, a mayor who is on duty will never take 5 minutes  to talk to the liason
whilst is amusing watching a clumsy dwarf try to chase around an amazingly agile axe lord on patrol it can get annoying especially if you don't notice and he leaves in a huff and you desperately need those barrels of lye
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

thebigJ_A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 12:47:42 am »

So I should make sure his squad is inactive when the liason shows up. Good to know.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:18:13 am »

He shouldn't be the most social dwarf in your fort if he's in the barracks all day.  Somebody else, sooner or later, will earn more social points and get elected to the Mayor position.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove