Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assistance requested for an RTD  (Read 1339 times)

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
Assistance requested for an RTD
« on: March 09, 2011, 02:11:00 am »

Well, basically, I've had an idea for an RTD, and this is my first time DMing an RTD... and I'm also kinda paranoid about if there's any special rules about DMing an RTD... mainly I need help with the system; how should I do rolls, should I have an HP/MP (statistical) system, or a wound/magical stamina (descriptive) system... I have the basic ideas set out, it's just the fine details. Any help will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:12:18 am by Talarion »
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance requested for an RTD
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:15:47 am »

Random ORG for dice rolls, it's a life saver. It would be better if it let you roll something other that six sided, but you can get pretty creative when you need to.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:26:40 am »

Mind telling me what ORG means? I'm a bit dense sometimes...
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:33:34 am »

Mind telling me what ORG means? I'm a bit dense sometimes...
Random.org

Since this is RTD, I would go with descriptions of wounds rather than an explicit amount of HP/MP. It allows you more flexibility with writing combat descriptions. What do you mean "special rules", anyway? It's your RTD, there's really no guidelines to how the rules work except these. And not even those are set in stone.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:38:04 am »

I was just being paranoid, thanks for clarifying.

What more do you need?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:00:15 am »

There's also www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm. It lets you roll several different kinds of dice and as many as you want at a time; in the last field, you can even set the number of sides, like if you want to roll 1d7 or something like that. You can even download the page and use it off-line, which I do. As for rules, it's really up to you; I went with HP/MP because even though it's not quite as flexible, it's my first time out as DM and I wanted a traditional structure. If you're confident you don't need it, go ahead and ditch it.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:04:43 am »

Yeah I use that site when I DM DnD, and the such. I was actually thinking of using a descriptive system, personally. It goes more along with the rules I've thought about for myself.

What more do you need?

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 04:44:31 am »

With my RTD, i have a general idea of what my players stats are like, and then give them an even MORE general idea, that way everything is less uncertain, which fits the kinda screwed up world im running em through
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 06:47:10 am »

Surely you have already known this, but still...A small suggestion: Do keep it simple. Your workload as a GM is directly proportional to the complexity of your rules, and even with a simple ruleset, the size of your character sheets can still grew beyond the limit some tens of turns into the game very easily.

I've GM-ed one of them some time ago, with nigh-DF level experience, equipment and wound tracking, and something that resembles an extended plot. It didn't end well, and it's not exactly fun to process such an amount of detail with the outcome, then a character and background sheet large enough to be split into 3 separate posts(Yes...That's me. :-[) every single turn, engrish aside.

Looking forward to your RTD!
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 06:56:18 am »

Well my RTD is up now; I'll try and take onto account all of your advice. Thanks a bunch.

What more do you need?

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 03:51:23 pm »

one more thing that you should take into account it the use of this site.
http://www.chaoticshiny.com/
If you ever need a new Idea, use it. something might happen.
What do you think? Yes? No?