Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help using add-ons  (Read 498 times)

Perapsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help using add-ons
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:14:51 pm »

Hi, I've recently become interested in playing Dwarf Fortress, so I asked around and people told me that I should use Mayday's tileset and Dwarf Therapist. So I've downloaded the latest Dwarf Fortress, then I went to http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php and downloaded the latest version of tileset, but since then I've become confused with what to do.

In the folder for the tileset, there seems to be a Dwarf Fortress client like the one I have, but it uses the tileset and has no sound. What's that there for? Then, I went on the Mayday website's DIY section and tried to put the tileset into the original game client, but it didn't work. What do I have to do? Also, how do I put the Therapist into the game afterwards, and what's a reliable source I can download it from?

Sorry if it's a nooby question...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help using add-ons
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:51:18 pm »

Most premade tilesets include everything that needs to be done to make the tileset work, as that is a fairly extensive project on its own. To make a tileset work properly from scratch, you would have to make or acquire the art, then modify most of the creature and material raw files to tell each of them individually which tile to use, then do some init setting changes. The game client in the tilesetted folder will just refer to all of the modified files by default; if you wanted to use your "original" download, you'd have to copy the dwarf fortress/data and dwarf fortress/raw folders from the Mayday one to the original one, but that would just turn the original one into the Mayday one.

The Mayday version probably has no sound because of the init setting changes. Go into dwarf fortress/data/init and find the init.txt file. Open it, look for a line that says [SOUND:NO] and change it to [SOUND:YES]. It should be very close to the top.

The current version of Dwarf Therapist's forum thread is here. To get it to run, you just load up your Dwarf Fortress game, then open the Dwarf Therapist client in a different window. It doesn't really "go into" the game, it just reads Dwarf Fortress's memory as it happens and alters it as you tell it to, so you'll have to either play Dwarf Fortress windowed or minimize it when you want to use Therapist.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Perapsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:26:26 pm »

Ah, thanks. So I never really needed the original one at all, just the Mayday download?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:48:47 pm »

Ah, thanks. So I never really needed the original one at all, just the Mayday download?
Pretty much, yeah.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:14:24 pm »

Mayday also includes some other helpful mods, like the Economic Stones mod (which basically enables the whole economic stones list right from the get-go, instead of just the rocks you see), and the cat mouth mod (which may or may not be present in the current version).  Basically, cats wanted to carry their kills around, but had nothing to carry them with, leading to massive "cat cancels carry: wounded" spam or something to that effect.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:18:13 pm »

Pretty sure the cat-mouth bug was fixed way back in the 31.01 release.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 02:21:11 am »

Mayday also includes some other helpful mods, like the Economic Stones mod (which basically enables the whole economic stones list right from the get-go, instead of just the rocks you see), and the cat mouth mod (which may or may not be present in the current version).  Basically, cats wanted to carry their kills around, but had nothing to carry them with, leading to massive "cat cancels carry: wounded" spam or something to that effect.

The economic stone mod is now part of the vanilla game, and the cat-mouth bug was fixed a while ago as the above poster said.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Perapsam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 02:50:19 am »

Thanks guys, much appreciated!  :D