Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping magma-safe stuff in magma  (Read 562 times)

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
Dumping magma-safe stuff in magma
« on: November 01, 2010, 01:05:40 am »

So I've set up a dump shaft in my fortress to deliver all the waste into a magma pool, including all the stone I don't want to keep. The question is, do boulders made of magma-safe materials dissolve/burn away like everything else?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping magma-safe stuff in magma
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:30:00 am »

Would they be able to be considered 'magma safe' stones when they burn up in magma???  A wee bit o common sense goes a long way.

Also, refer to my sig for more concrete answers...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:31:53 am »

As long as there is Semi-molten rock at the bottom, the stones will vanish. If not, they'll just sit there.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:27:10 am »

Common sense says you can't make perpetual energy generators, unlike Dwarven sense :P

Looks like I'll have to haul all the magma safe stone down to the magma sea.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 04:05:54 am »

Or atom-smash them.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 05:00:07 am »

Would they be able to be considered 'magma safe' stones when they burn up in magma???  A wee bit o common sense goes a long way.

Waterproof or water-resistant describes objects relatively unaffected by water or resisting the ingress of water under specified conditions. Such items may be used in wet environments or under water to specified depths [emphasis mine].

If anything, common sense would suggest that something being magma-, water-, corrosion-, bullet- or whatever-proof doesn't mean as much as it does in the game. A waterproof watch is going to fail on the bottom of the sea, so by that kind of (real-life) logic, a magmaproof stone will not necessarily withstand the pressure and heat in a magma ocean. Knowing/understanding a game's mechanics is decidedly not the same as common sense.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:23:04 am by assimilateur »

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:21:45 am »

The pool they would have been dropped into was artificially constructed about 20 levels down, not a magma sea. Also they drop onto a ramp, so either way it's haulin' time.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:45:37 am »

It won't be destroyed, because it's MAGMA SAFE. Safe against magma. Does not burn. Just have it hauled off somewhere else to be atom-smashed, or something.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.