Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Healing and health questions  (Read 512 times)

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Healing and health questions
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:14:29 am »

I'm running a .14 fortress, which is fairly peaceful as goblins don't turn up, to get to grips with the new features before updating to a more fun version. So there haven't been many health issues apart from:

A dwarven baby used a shield by her mother when her militia squad ran into a marauding beast. She got a fractured shoulder and a smashed toe as a result. Dwarven healthcare has no paediatric section it appears as she got no treatment at the time but seems fairly robust as she made it to childhood. She then toddled off to a hospital bed and the crack medical team, hitherto completely unemployed, leapt into action. Wounds were cleaned, sutures and dressings applied and the shoulder set. She then left hospital and no further treatment is scheduled. I thought medicine was pretty buggy so I was pleased to see the system work so well, but will she actually heal?

A more general concern is that the luxurious lifestyle in the fortress is taking its toll on the population's general health. A fairly typical description of the average dwarf is 'belarded by great hanging sacks of fat'. Perhaps not surprising as the place is awash in booze and lavish masterpiece meals. Since (as far as I know) cholesterol levels and cardiac arrests are yet to feature in the game I don't know whether to regard this as a good thing, perhaps the fat will act as additional armour when the fighting starts. But are there any strategies I could use, beyond the obvious of designating hundreds of boulders for dumping or making them all miners and excavating enormous caverns, that would get dwarves back to peak fitness?

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: Healing and health questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:39:51 pm »

I sometimes cross train the corpulent, slow dwarves as pump operators. It's easy (2 wood for a pump) and it's great exercise, though you are wasting their time while they are pumping essentially air.

Basically, at a carpenter's shop, build an enormous wood corkscrew and a pipe section and at a mason build some blocks. Then b->M->screw pump. Put it anywhere and then q-> enter to start your fatties on what is basically a dwarven bowflex.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »

I sometimes cross train the corpulent, slow dwarves as pump operators. It's easy (2 wood for a pump) and it's great exercise, though you are wasting their time while they are pumping essentially air.

Basically, at a carpenter's shop, build an enormous wood corkscrew and a pipe section and at a mason build some blocks. Then b->M->screw pump. Put it anywhere and then q-> enter to start your fatties on what is basically a dwarven bowflex.
pumping train only will power. Train them in melee combat and send them as meat shields
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:27:47 am »

I sometimes cross train the corpulent, slow dwarves as pump operators.

That was something I thought about but I've decided to try another way. Basically it's the Fat Camp approach, I've recruited some of the prime wobblebottoms into an ad hoc squad headed up by the Chief Medical Dwarf (she of the hanging sacks of fat), set them up in basic leather armour with no weapons or shields. They've started heading off to their barracks to learn dodging and so on, so hopefully they'll turn into adequate wrestlers and lose some of the lard in the process.

And to answer my own question the baby's fractured shoulder has healed although the less severe smashed toenail has not, so far.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 03:49:46 am »

Lava Spa.

Do it for great Justice.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers