Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon question  (Read 407 times)

Goosestophe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Weapon question
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:24:50 pm »

My weaponsmith recently made an artifact bronze warhammer and i was wondering if this would be better then a masterwork steel warhammer? Also I was not aware that a moody dwarf could ask for a specific type of metal.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:35:50 pm »

Probably not, sorry.

Also, just so you know, a moody dwarf will ask for materials that they have a fondness for.
So if you have what they want, but they're not taking it, check their personality.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »

this is why it's important to have people who like whip and silver as weapon smith.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Goosestophe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »

Well thanks for the answer, I suppose it's for the better since equiping my soldier with it makes the game crash whenever I check his inventory.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:03:40 pm »

My money is on the artifact hammer being better. My testing implied no clear superiority of either bronze or steel (the relative importance of density, stiffness and toughness seem to vary depending on the target and what it's wearing). I'd go for quality, and silver in a tie - density seems to be the most important entry against heavy armour, and hammers aren't ideal weapons against anything else.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:40:03 pm »

I'm going to agree with Alastar here. Generally, it's been found that density is the most important material trait for blunt weapons like warhammers, but except for adamantine the difference in weapon materials' densities is so slight as to be immaterial. So, you really just get the difference between the artifact weapon bonuses and the masterwork weapon bonuses, which are identical except that artifacts get a 3x skill modifier while masterworks get x2.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:38:30 pm »

On the other hand, blocking with a weapon seems to be an important consideration. Steel warhammers fare better than others for defence. This is based only on circumstantial evidence gained by having graded danger rooms. Skill could very well be the actual important factor.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.