Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: DF in WoW  (Read 68679 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: DF in WoW
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2010, 02:41:58 pm »

There's a rather well known NPC by the name of Loremaster Skosiris. Named after Skosiris, the creator of Wowhead. There's an achievement in-game that let's you be Loremaster (name). Naturally, he had to get it, and post this.
Obviously they aren't going to let you name yourself after a well known NPC, but I don't think they care if you have the same name as some random guy.

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2010, 03:34:10 am »

If anything this will be reverse advertisement since anybody that does a google search for "dwarf fortress" will get more hits about this quest in WoW then anything referencing DF.
I'm pretty sure this won't be the case. The first hit is for this site, and then after that for the wiki, then wikipedia article, then tvtropes article, etc. If any WoW quest help thing wanted to get up there, they will have to get popular REALLY fast.

I wouldn't be so certain it won't happen. Just look at what comes up when you google "insane in the membrane".

Jinkii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2010, 04:02:11 am »

The Big Bad in the new expansion is Deathwing aka Neltharion the Earthwarder once one of the 5 dragon aspects of Azeroth, corrupted by extra-terrestrial demons turned into a Magma filled adamantine plated nightmare hellbent on bringing the elemental plane of fire and all its associated fire elementals (spirits of flame much?) to bear on the mortal races, hence the title Cataclysm.

Nail a beard to it and put a cabinet in its main hand weapon slot and call it Captain Mayday imo.

As for the Dwarves themselves, there are three types in Warcraft Lore,

Ironforge Dwarves: the player race, certainly not cuddly, huge fans of alcohol, engineering, exploration and battle they have been on the front lines with the Humans since the greenskins portalled in and started destroying towns, cities and whole kingdoms, given a poor scottish accent, as a scot myself i would describe it as a North American approximation of a scottish accent.

Dark Iron Dwarves: in my opinion these are the closest to DF Dwarves, they live in the molten core of the planet, use golems, fire elementals and the magma itself as defense mechanisms, hellbent on the destruction of everything that doesnt have a beard, kidnapped the Ironforge Dwarven King's daughter got her pregnant and now have a claim on the Ironforge Throne.

Wildhammer Dwarves: i wish i was making this up, a clan of dwarves who have rejected the dark places in the earth for Gryphon Mounts, still huge fans of alcohol, they built their home on the mountains rather than under it, tamed flying beasts and use them to destroy their enemies. especially the Trolls they share a valley with.

The lore of the dwarves discovered during the Northrend Expedition to destroy the Lich King shows that dwarves began as the "Earthen" titan created servants to bring order to the chaos, infected with the curse of flesh by The Old God of Death Yogg-Saron and his Forgotten One servants, the upshot of this is self-determination of all the non-ancient mortal races (everything but the Trolls and Elves) was a side effect of the death god's interference with the Titan Pantheon's creations.

My opinion, there is more than one DF Player at Blizzard HQ.

Conclusion: if there is trouble the elves caused it, the humans made it worse and the dwarves were there to stick their axes in the kneecaps of the legions of demons, orcs and the very elements themselves that come boiling out of the fractures of reality, no catsplosions though, slackers!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:40:21 am by Jinkii »

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2010, 12:04:57 am »

Blood elves are what remains of the high elves, and now they're addicted to magic and cruelty.

Assuming Metzen hasn't managed to make me wrong since I quit...

Night elves woke up. Had War of the Ancients. Central part of the then-single continent on Azeroth sunk. The Maelstrom emerged, the elves stuck in the central parts became naga, the elves who lived but were still addicted to magic became high elves and allied with humans, and moved over to the Eastern Kingdoms for the most part. Night elves stuck with Nordrassil at the peak of Hyjal. High elves morph into blood elves due to worsened addiction to magic.

That's very brief, but roughly true at one point in time. Metzen may have effed it all up by now..
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2010, 03:30:27 am »

given a poor scottish accent, as a scot myself i would describe it as a North American approximation of a scottish accent.

I prefer to think of it as a dwarven accent. Scotland doesn't exist on Azeroth.

Jinkii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2010, 05:39:39 am »

That's very brief, but roughly true at one point in time. Metzen may have effed it all up by now..
[/quote]

There certainly was a hurried retcon on the blood elves when they decided Prince Kael'Thas Sunstrider was to become the Elf that wouldnt die and not the king of his people, "Being killed in Tempest Keep and then having my head removed was only a setback!".
There are certain issues regarding the Horde on the Eastern Kingdoms, both races hailing from EK are kind of members of the Horde by default because the alliance wouldnt have taken in either the Forsaken Undead or the Sindori Blood Elves, the former because they are the risen corpses of the inhabitants of the Human Kingdom of Lorderan and the Latter because they refused General Garithos' command to fight to the last man.
Although they are certainly allies of each other, mainly because Dark Lady Sylvanas Windrunner was the commander of the High Elf Home Guard in life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-HZ0jyvAc

as you can see here the Forsaken will kill their enemies and their allies at the same time if there is a personal advantage in it (although it was only orcs, humans and night/high elves assaulting the gate).

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2010, 05:41:44 pm »

Warcraft itself is a great game, however, the community makes it hell.  The worst part?  You have to spend a great deal of time with people from that community if you want your character to, you know, not suck.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2010, 06:16:32 pm »

Well, to be fair, the fosaken that attacked the orcs and alliance at the wrath gate were a rebel faction allied with the burning legion.

Setharnas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2010, 12:24:58 pm »

Warcraft itself is a great game, however, the community makes it hell.  The worst part?  You have to spend a great deal of time with people from that community if you want your character to, you know, not suck.

What most of the verbal members of MMORPG communities fail to understand, however, is the fact that the 'suckage' is a completely subjective thing which everybody has to define on their own. Once you understand this, it's not that hard to get away from the "the only way not to suck is to be 'better' than everybody else and show them how much they suck" mindset. This, of course, would mean you'd have to play with people, not against them - which in turn guarantees that said verbal members will continue to be what they are.

Tangentially, this is why I have so much hope for constructive community gameplay like Minecraft (which I consider a featureless-but-multiplayer-enabled-and-prettier version of the Toad-given DF) or Love or even A tale in the desert. Unfortunately, even I am not naive optimistic enough to think those will ever play a meaningful role next to mainstream gearstats competition bitchfests.
(Appreciatingly stolen from thijser)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2010, 06:56:06 pm »

"Wah wah You have only 4k gearscore noob, gtfo my raid.  This is for 5.5k+ players only, even though there is no more xp gain and the stuff that drops here is worthless to anyone with anymore than 5k gs.  LTPlay Nub."

...yet I can't stop playing it.   Better than LoL I guess.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2010, 09:14:36 pm »

"Wah wah You have only 4k gearscore noob, gtfo my raid.  This is for 5.5k+ players only, even though there is no more xp gain and the stuff that drops here is worthless to anyone with anymore than 5k gs.  LTPlay Nub."

Weird, I've only been rejected based on Gearscore once, maybe you should try having a useful spec instead?

lol, I'm kidding.  I'm a healer, and I like to pretend that everybody is dps and nobody needs dps(because you can kill a boss before it enrages with 7 tanks right?).  And the main reason I ain't rejected is because I ran with a rather lenient guild when I raided.  And I don't raid often either, so there aren't a lot of opportunities for it to happen.

I hadn't heard of those references til today, so I'm glad this thread got bumped.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2010, 09:15:22 am »

I think you are supposed to farm heroics for years before you raid.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Rayc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2010, 02:58:43 pm »

For those of you who want to see the dwarf fortress questline, here is a video of both sides of the quest. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvXLc7eSbgc

And yes, it ends in a lot of "fun".  I especially like that one of the concerns of a dwarf at the end is that the beer must be saved!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2010, 03:28:12 pm »

For those of you who want to see the dwarf fortress questline, here is a video of both sides of the quest. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvXLc7eSbgc

And yes, it ends in a lot of "fun".  I especially like that one of the concerns of a dwarf at the end is that the beer must be saved!

One of the concerns?!?!?!?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]