Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project Idea  (Read 965 times)

jman650

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Project Idea
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:41:34 pm »

Although I use a macbook and the hotkeys for DF just don't work for me, so I don't play it, I had a good idea for a big project thing.

Get a map with a volcano that's really, really, really big. Somehow (suspension?) build a little capsulized city thing. Then remove the supports and it sinks into the lava, going down while everyone inside is living their lives.

Is this feasible and could anyone make it if so?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:44:15 pm »

Sadly, cave-in rules won't allow it.  People have, however, drained magma tubes, built their fort, and let it fill again.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:53:53 pm »

similar experiments have been made
try searching "dwarven submarine", I believe
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:26:42 pm »

I believe that if you obsidian cast it, it will work rather well, except when it hits the ground, everything that isn't natural wall will deconstruct.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:51:26 pm »

AFAIK. the sub falls at lightspeed, the Dwarfs? not so much, resulting in a lot of "Urist McMagmanaut has died after colliding with an object"
*Hugs*

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 02:57:17 pm »

I believe that if you obsidian cast it, it will work rather well, except when it hits the ground, everything that isn't natural wall will deconstruct.
It won't. SMR will annihilate everything on it that isn't magma (that includes cast obsidian).

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »

It won't. SMR will annihilate everything on it that isn't magma (that includes cast obsidian).
Oh yeahhhh
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 04:26:22 pm »

No, not really. It only leads to your post.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 04:57:26 pm »

No, not really. It only leads to your post.
I get plenty of hits
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
not all of them are related, but some are
don't know what you did wrong
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:00:16 pm »

If you use the Search function on this page, it will only search through this thread. To find the Dwarven Submarine thread you need to search while on the Dwarf Fortress board. Or if you want to search the entire forum, you need to search while on the index page.

Edit: The thread you are searching for is this one: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56305.0
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:03:31 pm by jellsprout »
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:02:14 pm »

If you use the Search function on this page, it will only search through this thread. To find the Dwarven Submarine thread you need to search while on the Dwarf Fortress board. Or if you want to search the entire forum, you need to search while on the index page.
Huh. That's weird.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 05:04:22 pm »

Not really, it's useful for searching long threads like the FotF thread.
*Hugs*