Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vanishing trees  (Read 848 times)

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vanishing trees
« on: October 29, 2010, 05:01:44 pm »

So, I've been genning a bunch of worlds because I wanted to build a fortress on the delta of a small river into an ocean/lake, but with easily accessible magma and other civs. Finally, I found what I wanted: Brook, ocean, lots of trees, magma pipe in the first cavern layer, temperate (frozen on embark, but will presumably thaw in summer; makes the aquifer easier to deal with)...it even had a nice little hill on the north edge of the map. I was happy. So, I embark, and I used DFreveal to see whether I really got the pipe, etc. Unfortunately, I accidentally unpause, releasing spoilers and its accompanying FPS killers (that'll learn me not to save instantly). Anyway, I went and made a copy of the region folder in the save directory, thinking that since I hadn't saved I could just re-embark on the copied world. I could even change my embark size a little to better take advantage of the site.

However, when I did so, I found the embark was completely bare of trees. Thinking maybe the changed embark size had done something, I repeated the procedure, but with the same embark size as before. Still no trees. I exported the world gen info and regenned the world. Still no trees. I've heard that DFreveal can do that to a save, but I don't understand how it could have affected the unsaved folder, much less persist over a world regen. Can DFreveal actually corrupt a world seed? Has anyone seen this before/have a clue what could have caused this/have advice how to get the trees back?

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanishing trees
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:11:54 pm »

I've encountered this sort of thing before myself.  I fixed it by closing down and re-opening DF, then regenning the world entirely (and not work off of a save).  There's something about reveal kills the trees in new embarks for me.

KhazâdAimênu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanishing trees
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:31:18 pm »

I fixed it by closing down and re-opening DF, then regenning the world entirely (and not work off of a save).

That worked! Thanks!

BTW, in case anyone's interested, here's the seed (0.31.12). Site's on the central west side of the western inland ocean, at the mouth of a river surrounded by a bunch of volcanos.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)