Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure and Fortress running simultaneously  (Read 900 times)

Karim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure and Fortress running simultaneously
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:05:01 pm »

First off,I want to say that I'm blown away by how awsome this game is.Spent the better part of today figuring it out.My question is,is it possible to have an adventurer and fortress save game on the same world?Or must you create a new world if you also want to play adventurer?

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure and Fortress running simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:57:00 pm »

This only matters when considering save files; you can have what you're thinking of in terms of the same worldgen, but not within the same save files.  The game is designed for a single continuous experience in whatever mode you're playing, with a single savegame file set.  If you wanted to go fool around with a different mode without abandoning/retiring, you'd have to copy the fsave files and have their histories diverge.

tl;dr no

Zucabr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:40:33 am »

If you wanted to go fool around with a different mode without abandoning/retiring, you'd have to copy the fsave files and have their histories diverge.

Wait, wait. So... if I wanted to, I could start a fortress, build, then populate it, then... I can take an adventurer into it, meeting my dwarves? Of course, I am now stuck with THAT particular snapshot of my fortress and dwarves, but still.

Wait, so can that mean that you can, say... start a fortress, populate it, then without abandoning it, mess with the savefiles, and then build a second live fortress in the same world?

I mean, of course, never that you can switch between save files, but rather, can you carry over things done in one mode into another without having to abandon the fortress?

Wait, my brain hurts. :(

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:42:55 am »

No, none of that is possible.  What you can do is make a copy of the save file, then load the copy and abandon the fortress.  You can then go adventuring in the copy save world, where the fortress is abandoned, yet still play the fortress in the original save world.  What you do in one save won't affect what happens in the other, of course.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zucabr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:47:05 am »

Ah crap. That makes simpler sense. I have a very dull Occam's razor. Right, thanks.