Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluid Dwarfnamics in Tributaries  (Read 1840 times)

Zucabr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fluid Dwarfnamics in Tributaries
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:56 am »

Erm, a repeated question from the minor questions thread that I realized might require deeper inquiry.

Regarding flow and pressure... First, I make sure what I know is correct: streaming bodies of water (when simple line segments that touch two sides of the map) will infinitely flow from one point on the map to the other, and will stay at a certain pressure if left undammed and flowing through both sides of the map.

The question: What about when the brook or whatever ends on one embark tile? In one of those root-like protrusions. That are apparently tributaries where rainfall and snowmelt connect in real life?

How are flow and pressure affected? Does it flow towards the rooty things, or away, or possibly both depending on the instance? Does that mean the tributary will flood/drain? Will it maintain normal river pressure even though it doesn't flow to or from an edge of the map?

Also... if I pump water back into a running brook (hypothetically speaking, not ending in a tributary) will it mess up the pressure and flood my world, or normalize into the pressure of the river?

Should I just screw all the questions and look for an aquifer embark, which has a whole lot more info on it?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Fluid Dwarfnamics in Tributaries
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:18:10 am »

You are making things too complicated, none of that stuff matters.  'Flow' in DF is simply a flag on a tile which tells a water wheel wether it is powered or not.  There is no flow or pressure calculated outside of your embark at all.  You can put a dam across a river and all it does is stop the water, there will be no flood.  You can pump water off the edge of the map with no ramifications to the rest of the world.  Water is magically created at the edge of the map for rivers and such, and magically from the edges of unmined aquifer tiles.

Read the following thread for more info on how water works within your embark: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32453.0
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.