Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wow thats a first!  (Read 790 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wow thats a first!
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:52 pm »

The Stray Horse (Tame) has died of old age.
I have never had anything die of old age before, either my fort doesn't last long enough or they die of other causes. This isn't even my oldest fort, only 7 years.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: wow thats a first!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:09 pm »

Horses actually used to be immortal, as my 50 year old fort with a walled-up cavern filled with horses who came with the first caravan will attest. They were only limited to a finite lifespan in .15 and later.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:16:12 pm »

.15 what? Creatures have had a maxage tag available since well before the 31.xx version and I don't think it was just missing from horses for some reason- though I guess if you said it was I couldn't argue.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:03:34 am »

The maxage tag has been around awhile, but it still isn't on dogs and cats, unless Toady recently changed that. I haven't looked at the raws since .12, I believe.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:06:59 am »

Dogs:
MAXAGE:10:20
Cats:
MAXAGE:10:20

But hey, I realized that the wiki has nice 40d raws in it for me to look through so I can confirm that cats and dogs both had the same tag there.

Horses were indeed timeless but plenty of animals could die of old age. The issue before would have just been that animals didn't ever show up at forts close to their max age.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:02:57 am »

Well... the elves brought me a giant tiger who died of old age bout 4 years later. I magmaed their next caravan for that spoiled good.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 06:03:56 am »

The thing was that any animals that were assigned to caravan hauling could die of old age while on the map, leaving a wagon behind. Thus they became immortal to prevent that bug. Seems that Toady has fixed that now.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.