Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Tame Creature Died in a Cage  (Read 541 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Tame Creature Died in a Cage
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:20:27 pm »

An incoming Elf caravan had an unfortunate encounter with some goblin ambushers.  I didn't bother to recover the loot.  A month or two later, I got the message:
Iru Cethuthacaraca, Stray Tigerman (Tame) had died from thirst.
I had always thought that being in a cage was like eating Breakfast at Tiffany's: nothing bad could possibly happen to you in there.  But maybe the rules have changed.

Any ideas what happened here?

Edit: It's an old version of Fortress Defense Mod in version 31.16.

Edit: And now one of my dwarves is carrying the Tigerman off for burial.  They don't care about the elf merchants, but the Tigerman gets a coffin of his own.  Very confusing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:25:17 pm by Leonidas »

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: A Tame Creature Died in a Cage
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 08:35:51 pm »

Tigermen are intelligent creatures, like dwarfs, elves, goblins and humans.
Maybe this makes them dependant on food/water while being in a cage. I know that it's the same with dwarfs, dunno about the other intelligent races. I don't think I've ever had a human prisoner and elves/gobbos are usually executed before they could have gotten hungry.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: A Tame Creature Died in a Cage
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 09:13:57 pm »

Cages are less like stasis pods and more like pocket universes.  A creature in a cage won't drown, and will even survive if the cage is dumped in magma, but they will still age, get hungry or thirsty, and can bleed to death or die of infection if they're injured prior to being caged.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.