Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP! Cannot get weapons made...  (Read 1200 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
HELP! Cannot get weapons made...
« on: October 31, 2010, 04:24:53 am »

Hi, as the title says i cannot get any weapons made...

Im using the latest Deons Genesis pack so idk if its bugged or im just being a noob...

Each time i try and make weapons or picks, a dwarf will get a bar of iron, goto the workshop, then fail with a "need iron bar" error...

Ive got a wood burner for charcoal, A smelter to turn Lignite into what i assume is Iron bars, and a Metalsmiths forge to make stuff...

I have loads of both Iron and Pig Iron bars just to try out incase i didnt have the right thing but it still fails...

Anyone have an idea whats going on here or is the game bugged?...

Ive tried this over the last few days and i cannot get it to work even after maybe 20 hours over 4 different forts...

Ive just picked the game up so dont know if its just a beginners mastake im making....

I have messed around with the labour tasks too to try and get it working but still no luck..

Thx for any help, Foil

fitzguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Cannot get weapons made...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 04:48:33 am »

you sure your not getting lignite and limonite mixed up?

i had the same sorta problem

id smelt loads of limonite(with charcoal) which i found thinking it would make coke for my forge found out that it was making loads of iron :P

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:55:17 am »

I see the problem. Lignite is a form of coal; when smelted, it turns into 2 bars of coke, a form of fuel exactly like charcoal. You appear to be mistaking that coke for iron, so you essentially have charcoal, more differenter charcoal (coke), and pig iron, but no iron. Those dark-colored bars the weaponsmith is dragging to the forge are almost certainly charcoal or coke, not iron (they look identical).

Pig iron is useful only for making steel, so if you made that instead of buying it, you wasted some iron you did have. Iron ores in vanilla include magnetite (if present, it will probably be your main iron source as it comes in huge amounts), limonite, and hematite. People will also refer, tongue-in-cheek, to "goblinite," which simply refers to melting down the iron equipment that goblins bring when they die assaulting your fort to use as an iron source. In many forts, goblinite is actually the main iron source.

I'm not sure if Genesis includes any other iron ores, as I don't play it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:10:22 am »

It has one other iron ore. Geothite I believe.

Anywho, the previous is correct. It is most likely that you are mixing up limonite (iron ore) and lignite (a low-grade type of coal). Pig iron, as mentioned previously, is the halfway mark to making steel (Iron>Pig Iron>Steel) however steel can be a bit of a headache to make and get your head around, so for the time being you might just want to stick with iron. :D Good luck!

Oh and if any other questions feel free to ask us insane people.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 07:07:45 am »

Crap, I did mean Limonite i was using.  I already have loads of iron bars as some guy gets all the way to the Metalsmiths forge with some, only to drop it when he gets there and suspends job saying cannot find Iron Bars...   Someone comes along 2 mins later and takes it back to the stockpile...

Tho i might just have figured it out...  Is a finishing forge in the standard game?.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:49:56 am »

Is a finishing forge in the standard game?.
No, only magma forges and normal forges are in vanilla.

Auto Slaughter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:57:06 am »

Can you make anything else out of iron?  Can you make weapons out of other metals?
Legendary Idler
“There's nothing better than a party that turns into a death trap.”

               — Russell T Davies, Doctor Who writer, speaking of some of his more popular plot lines

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:58:36 pm »

Yea thats it fixed.  The Finishing forge must be part of the Genisis Mod as it was never mentioned in any of the several tuts i read, Bloody thing...  I can make steel and Iron bars there out of Pure Iron bars or Pig Iron for Steel.  At least it wasnt a bug and what i must have been seeing was a dwarf taking fuel to the metalsmiths then failing to find usable finished bars...

Is there any way to arm people without using the Military screen?..  I dont really want to create an army but would like someone to deal with any animal attacks or anyone that snaps and starts attacking people and smashing the place up. 

Is there also a way to get rid of lots of stone?  After a few hours in i need to have a massive stockpike outside to keep the inside tidy of stone left behind from mining. ill never need even 5% of what im storing but if i tell it to dump it will it not just go in another pile somewhere?..

Sorry for all the questions but im at the stage now, After 3 or 4 false starts over the last few years, Finally able to work the game properly.  Ive finally made a fort thats happy with loads o stored food and booze, Safe (this time) water control for making fields n topping up a huge manmade reservoir for all year water. All is well, Tho theres a lot not explained clearly on DF wiki or tutorials and i kinda hit a barrier once everything is running ok. The next level up from the basics looks just as much a mission as learning the game to start with...

Ive never been this drawn into a game since Morrowind years ago lol and with the Fallout and AvP mods i can see it keeping me amused for a while longer, But damn its a mission to learn...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 02:19:36 pm »

If you make everyone woodcutters, they will equip axes.

For the stone problem, I suggest channeling out the tile above an area near a mason's workshop, and setting it as a garbage zone.
Then, [d]->->[d]ump all the stone. This creates a 1-tile "quantum stockpile" with all the stone near the workshop.
Make sure you get rid of your stone stockpiles before you unforbid it.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 01:11:43 am »

The quantum stockpile is an efficient way to clean up excess stone, anytime. Another way to utilize them, with adding to the well being of the fort, is to build a catapult or two. This will keep several siege operators employed, as well as haulers carrying stone to their ammo stockpile(stones). Training up several siege operators has two good benefits. Improves their possible stats, and they do not gripe, when drafted.
  As for the military screen, as long as those in squads without training areas, they can serve as a emergency pest response team. Just assign a militia commander, put several in the squad under him/her. When the varmints show up, under (S)quads, activate them, then set (K)ill order on the interlopers. Works good for buzzards, monkeys, and regular pests. Not so well for others
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:14 am »

Maybe in Real Life, but not in Dwarf Fortress.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 08:55:27 am »

In the Genesis Mod, Deon added it ---

Quote "Goethite as a low-iron ore, appears in swampy soil" End-Quote

Maybe in Real Life, but not in Dwarf Fortress.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 06:40:08 pm »

Great info thx...

Is there any way to fill different quantum stockpiles with different materials?..  Im about to start a huge fort and could do with having all materials inside a big factory complex...

how far do u need to go down to get to hell and carerns n caves?

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:41 pm »

Caverns start fairly deep underground. I've had them start at as high as 15 below the lowest part of the map and as low as 50.  There are three different layers of caverns, each more dangerous than the last.  After the third cavern, there will be a lot more layers of just stone, and you'll eventually find a magma ocean.  Beneath that is hell.  You can also access hell if you find a vein of adamantine- they have a hollow space in the middle that leads straight to hell.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »

Is there any way to fill different quantum stockpiles with different materials?..  Im about to start a huge fort and could do with having all materials inside a big factory complex...

Make one garbage dump at a time, then dump your items. Check under (j) to see when all the dump item jobs are done and remove the zone, then go to the next one.