Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You most awesome near-fun recovery?  (Read 2030 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
You most awesome near-fun recovery?
« on: October 29, 2010, 01:05:24 pm »

So, I have this story:

RougnessMeeting (est. 549) was thriving fortress. In 8 years, headcount reached 80, 30 of which were trained soldiers. Most labour was centered around masonry to build tripple wall (water moat + magma moat. 10 levels tall. just because we can.) and producing equipment for always growing military.

Basic necesities like beds were harsly ignored and postponed until more important constructions were done. Only luxury in dwarven life were strawberry roasts. Dining hall was just one table and chair under small roof, communal bedroom was just one bed. Dwarves had only confort of each other and friendhips grew intense. Many babies were born, many couples emerged.

The grand tantrum spiral started unoticed: Sworddwarf was kicked in head by horse. He was dragged to bed-tunnel to heal, but he died and rotted there. His wife suffered miscariage during horse-hunt and started fist fight. With sword in her hands, killing two dwarves.

Still, this was business as usual in RougnessMeeting. Except, this time, it continued. Dwarves started tantruming, two or three at a time, resulting in casualties when someone brought weapon to fistfight.

Still, if military was killed, peasant was drafted to replace him, if worker was killed, labor was enabled on peasant. Each month saw one or two deaths, but migrants were comming. Huddling together in dining-room shack and getting to know each other before being dwafted to army or to workforce.

For two years, fort was in starte of permanent tantrum. Rotting corpses friends were piling. And then, people started to really snap. First berserker was caught early and filled with bolts, only killing one bonecarver. Melancholy, Raving madness. seven just lost their mind withing minutes of each other, five berserks (two armed with axes and armoured in bronze) quickly reduced livestock in dining shack to nothing along with few children, babies and fellow dwarves.

Placing artifact bone weapon rack in dining shack did little to improve mental state of dwarves. If anything, inscriptions were motivating them to be even more gloomy and great dining hall was also great insult and everyone was too busy being angry to cook and brew.

Still, hunrgy and thirsty peasants were still drafted and given weapons to replace losses. But this time, they were drafted to police force. Goal was to simply end endless tantrums and administer fatal beatings to troublemakers.

That ended up being spectacual failure as two groups of iron-n-bronze armed dwarves met and hacked at each other, one side administering justice, other being angered by executed friends and comminting more crimes with axes and swords.

Eventually, fort came down to twenty so-so functioning adults, each red with anger (Tantrumists won).

Everyone had death wish, and they were going to get it: They all joined military, were issued dwarf-blood covered weapons and given order to redeem themselves. First target was spring elven caravan. It went down without much trouble, only two dwarves ended up dead. Seccond target was summer human caravan.

Humans were well armed and prepared, possibly because tantrumind dwarves destroyed depot during trade session year earlier. They still went down quickly, even if they managed to inflict heavy losses. But one human, lasher of legendary skill refused to fall. He hunted down dwarves and dogs and killed them all one by one. Only the wery last dwarf inflicted mortal wound.

Here we are, down to one dwarf and three children.

One calmed down happy dwarf who dined in legendary dining room, took joy in slaughter and enjoyed trully decadent meal. And then one page of meeting new friends, talking to them and seeing them decay (in no particular order)

Alright, you can all imagine what this is like: One dwarf rebuilding, welcoming migrant wave and fortress continuing with blank slate (except lots of rotten corpses and angry elves & humans).

This is not what happened. He died because he still had death wish and attacked dwarves caravan, decked in finest gear he could scavenge - artifact bone axe, artifact leather skirt and artifact bone gauntlet.

He was well relaxed when he died trying to behead liaison. Caravan quickly left and did not bother looking for anyone else.

Where we are. Three chilren. All adults dead. Landscape of unfinished grand construction, destoryed workshops and scattered goods and items. Trade deport full of food, drinks and elven & human corpses.

Children survived, being unable to do anything else than having tea parties in dining shack, they waited patiently for last adult to come back.

Long time, they lived on whatver they could scavenge. Unable to trade, they saw caravans come and go. They watched as most of edible food rotted. Noone came to take care of them.

Then, one of them decided to grow up.

Here we are, one young adult and two children. He became mayor of emptied construction site and soon after he presented himself to suprised dwarven liaison, migrants came.

So, this was how fort survived five year tantrum tornado with not not ten, not one, but zero dwarves.

20 pages of dead: Adults, Children, Dwarves that were there since day one and migrants who died during their first day.

Maybe it is finally time to build decent dining hall. And make first coffin. And then four hundred more.

It is about time to start burying people properly.

---

So, what is YOUR most inspiring near-fun story?

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You most awesome near-fun recovery?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:29:12 pm »

Holy shit that is an epic story!

I never had a near Fun story, as everytime 1/5 of my dorfs die, the abadon button catches them all.

(Argh the spelling ARGH)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:07 pm »

Let me get this straight; you force them to live miserably and then it's some epic tragedy when they inevitably snap? Was that your goal from the beginning, or did this come as a surprise to you?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:44:19 pm »

3 imigrants arriving approximately 2 minutes before my last dwarf from the embarking 7 dies of dehydration.

(0 supply embark, 0 skills but social, scorching desert ??? )

They went thirsty too of course but extended my survival to the caravan where i sourced a lump of copper
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »

Oh goddamn the OP is classic but I have to fix the spelling (in spoiler).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I left the epic grammar alone because it's priceless.

For two years, fort was in state of permanent tantrum. Rotting corpses friends were piling. And then, people started to really snap.

I'm in the middle of approving a gigantic change @ work that's upcoming Sunday, trying to stifle laughter and tears.

Super2goten

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:09:35 pm »

I made a fortress which I forget the name of a few months ago, everything was going pretty damn well, had a good militia, a safe cavern, a huge steel industry... And then suddenly the booze runs dry.

I figure it'll be okay, but oh wait suddenly all our barrels have been used up and we have no wood and then suddenly the coke gets used up, no magma yet either, so there's nothing to power the furnaces, and nothing to make barrels out of at all, I head to the surface, but no trees left at all.

"Hmm, better get building a well" I think, and start getting one dug, juuuuust as I start to channel out the ground to let the well flood it hits midautumn or whenever, and all the water on the map instafreezes.

I just decided to let the fortress go on, hunting for trees of any kind, and slooooowly the dwarves started dying of thirst.

In the autumn there were about 120 dwarves, and just as the brook unfroze in Spring (I knew the second it did, as all of my survivors started running towards it) there were 13 left :\

Cue a mass gravedigging/engraving project... The whole fortress was covered in images of Dwarves dying of thirst :D

Unfortunately I found some cotton candy a few years later and found a tunnel to the circus on its top layer : (

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:38:56 pm »

This was my first experience embarking:

a) In a world where the dwarves were extinct, and
b) Where the only water available was salt-water.

Normally I set up a well quickly so I can get farming and brewing going along with carpentry and everything else.

I forgot that in 31.xx wells do not "purify" saltwater.

As my starting seven are dying of dehydration, I get all but the screw-pump constructed for a cistern of "purified" water so they could drink, and as the last living dwarf dies I get migrants.

They show up, and last long enough to get the pump up and running. There were four of them.

One pumps, and the others collect the belongings of the dead dwarfs, who had all run outside for some reason.

Once the pump operator fills the cistern, I let him stop and he goes outside to collect junk.

While one is dropping something off at a stockpile and the other three are outside, a zombie great white shark wanders up to the fort, kills three of them, and then wanders off.

Leaving me with one again. And then he gets hungry. I had set up farms, but nobody had tended them because they were busy hunting socks. I try to get him to harvest plants, and he decides to hunt vermin until he starves to death.

So I reclaim.

As I'm dealing with cleaning up the mess, things start going well enough, I last long enough to get the first two migrant waves which were small and full of useless dwarfs, but helped the population. 

The blind cyclops that had been hiding up in the cave killing cats and assorted animals had fallen mysteriously absent, and I didn't notice until the last migrant wave reached my front gate.

He ripped all of them to shreds, and then went into the fortress, to kill 90% of my population.

He at last was killed by a miner. He had been seriously hurt but not finished off by my lone military dwarf, an axe-dwarf.

That left 4 dwarfs. One was seriously injured (the miner, of course).

The miner died of infection after laying in my hospital being ignored because I had nobody with any skill in medicine.

Which brought me to three.

One tantrummed, and attacked one of the other two. The trantrumming dwarf was injured by the dwarf he attacked, but not before injuring that dwarf.

Leaving one dwarf, and two injured dwarfs. Intact dwarf was female, and my farmer. The other two were male.

That one female dwarf eventually gave birth to 26 children.

The dwarf that tantrummed towards the end wound up becoming my bookeeper or something. He had no friends until finally befriending I think the 23rd of the 26 children, and that child-dwarf was his only friend.

The other injured dwarf married the female, and he became my new military dwarf and engraver, and engraved some pretty awesome stuff on the walls.

The fortress eventually fell to FB's from the depths. Specifically, I was trying to seek them all out and one that had been trapped on a ledge killed the matriarch by blasting her with his dust while she was crossing a one-tile-wide bridge to it. Morbidly funny to me was the fact that #26, whom she was holding at the time of the fall, wound up on a different ledge about 15 z levels up from it's mother. It died shortly after she did. The FB managed to kill the military and then make it's way up my stairs, so I had a miner pierce the shaft of the volcano at the top floor, and then each subsequent floor to ensure the beast would never escape our humble hole in the mountain.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 05:25:23 pm »

30~ dwarves.
I decide to play with some deers. Deers kill some dwarves. Many tantrums.
I appoint a sheriff. Sheriff kills more dwarves. More tantrums.
Down to one child and a female miner as fortress leader.
Child keeps having meetings with the leader, until he drives her mad.
Child inherits fortress. He is happy.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 06:19:32 pm »

Apparently the entire original fortress dying of thirst moments after 20+ migrants show up isn't as rare as I thought when it happened to me.
Current Fort: NatureRags